General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow start/crank with new battery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Slow start/crank with new battery.

Over the past 2 months I have been experiencing intermittent episodes of slow crank as iff the battery was almost dead. It would sowly attempt crank for about 3 seconds before it couldn't turn over any more. I would let it sit for 20-30 seconds and try again and it would usually start. Sometimes I would have to try again 30 seconds later. I assume the battery was dead so I purchased and installed a new battery. Went out this morning and same thing happened. I'm a little stumped as I'm not so sure this is a drain issue because I have left the car for 5 days while on vacation and it started right up when I got home. Her additional info and observations.

- 2003 Accord Ex 4 cylinder

- Seems to happen more often when damp/rains and cold

- Usually happens in morning but sometime when when leaving work

- Extended amount of time (days) doesn't seem to change symptoms.

I still think it might be a drain but but the "sitting for days" thing confuses me.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

With a new battery, I suppose the clamps are tight...?

Check tightness on the OTHER end of the battery cables - especially the ground. When you check the other end of the (+) cable, disconnect the (-) one first so you don't get a wrench across the power cable.s

Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You also can have your starter going bad.

If you check all the cables and they are fine next is to see if you have 12 volts at the little wire on the starter when the key is turned to start. You will need a multi-meter and someone to turn the key for you.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Follow up:

Well, my issue has mysteriously disappeared. I think it may be a starter issue that is going to rear it's ugly head again. It seems to be related to coldness. The last time it happend I tied to start and it chugged and stopped. I immediately turned the key again and it tried to turn over bud couldn't. No clicking, just couldn't turn the engin over. The next turn of the key a few seconds later acted like nothing was wrong and thecar started up with full power from the starter.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by zoid_99
Well, my issue has mysteriously disappeared. I think it may be a starter issue that is going to rear it's ugly head again. It seems to be related to coldness. The last time it happend I tied to start and it chugged and stopped. I immediately turned the key again and it tried to turn over bud couldn't. No clicking, just couldn't turn the engin over. The next turn of the key a few seconds later acted like nothing was wrong and thecar started up with full power from the starter.
OK... Symptoms cam back and I replaced the starter. It took around 2 hours but I could probably do it again in about 1 hour. I didn't have to take the the intake manifold off completely. I was able to leave the throttle/cruise cables on and just move the manifold out of the way. Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by zoid_99
OK... Symptoms cam back and I replaced the starter. It took around 2 hours but I could probably do it again in about 1 hour. I didn't have to take the the intake manifold off completely. I was able to leave the throttle/cruise cables on and just move the manifold out of the way. Thanks for all the help!
Here's a journal of my starter replacement.
2003 Honda Accord Shade Tree