General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Electrical Issues - 03 4 cylinder EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Default Small Electrical Issues - 03 4 cylinder EX

Bear with me... I'm on my phone. My dad gave me his Accord when the head went bad. 307,000 miles. Fixed all that. Car is perfect except some minor things.

I know there are tons of console issues - but mine don't seem as extreme and HAVE to be something small.

Front Turn Signals
My front signals only work when unlocking the car. Otherwise they are always on. This causes that crazy hyper flash - since they have decided to not flash.

Tail lights - fixed but might havery caused issues below
My tail lights were not working at all. Until I unplugged the accessory plugin/ cigarette lighter next to the "This is not an ashtray" lol

Console Lights
The only thing that doesn't work are the symbols on the buttons. The climate control activated lights work (the little green and yellow dots when you press for example "Dual".). My radio back light also works just fine. Could the accessory plugin going out cause this?

CD Changer: Button on Radio doesn't do anything. Won't switch to CD or eject what's in there. I'm assuming the changer needs replaced. Wanted to mention it in case that was an issue causing the above issues. But I don't use it.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Just realized transmission Lights next to the shift also do not work. My dad did say those haven't worked for a long time (pre-console lights)

Last edited by simplyjessi; 03-17-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

What happens to both front and rear turn signal bulbs when you turn on the hazards?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What happens to both front and rear turn signal bulbs when you turn on the hazards?
Sorry, could have been more clear. My rear signals always work, hazards and signaling. The fronts both just stay lit yellow (no flashing).

Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

1. Have you check both front bulbs to see if they are okay? Each bulb is dual filament and serve dual purpose as a turn signal and a side marker.

2. Which symbols on the buttons don't work? Are they shown in the attached image? Fan control buttons?

Attached Thumbnails Small Electrical Issues - 03 4 cylinder EX-climate-control-system.jpg  
Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. Have you check both front bulbs to see if they are okay? Each bulb is dual filament and serve dual purpose as a turn signal and a side marker.

2. Which symbols on the buttons don't work? Are they shown in the attached image? Fan control buttons?
1. They are on as side markers and they flash when I unlock the car via key FOB. So I assume the bulbs are fine (let me know if its possible they arent)

2. Yes, for example the fan control don't light up. Neither do the words (which I think they're supposed to (Auto, Dual, the little car for air circulation, etc). I also thought the hazard button symbol at the top should glow red, but it's dark as well. The little circles above the symbols do light up, though.

Edit: this is where I wasn't sure if me unplugging the accessory plugin caused the circuit to short and I need to order a new one to complete the circuit.

Last edited by simplyjessi; 03-18-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 AM

Also - took a photo http://imgur.com/ccyCGcn
http://imgur.com/lY8iXD3

Name:  ccyCGcn.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  lY8iXD3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  112.6 KB

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-18-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Linked photos
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

The front bulbs can possibly be both bad.

When you use the key fob, that is for the security system. The security system uses the taillight relay to provide power to and flash the front bulbs via separate Red/Blk wires and to the bulb filament for the side marker. -- Essentially the side marker flashes.

For the front turn signals, it uses the turn signal/hazard relay to provide power and flash the front bulbs via different wires (Red/Blu and Brn) to the different bulb filament for the turn signals.

The climate control buttons may not be related. I will have think about and get back to that, maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-18-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 AM

The front bulbs can possibly be both bad.

When you use the key fob, that is for the security system. The security system uses the taillight relay to provide power to and flash the front bulbs via separate Red/Blk wires and to the bulb filament for the side marker. -- Essentially the side marker flashes.

For the front turn signals, it uses the turn signal/hazard relay to provide power and flash the front bulbs via different wires (Red/Blu and Brn) to the different bulb filament for the turn signals.

The climate control buttons may not be related. I will have to get back to that.
Curious as they are new from Advance. Is it possible they have the wrong bulbs? As silly as it sounds - do you know a correct part number?

Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Sylvania bulb guide list 1157A.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 AM

Sylvania bulb guide list 1157A.
Thank you for your help so far. I'll get those today. (I need to go to bed lol its 2am here)

Quick Reply: Small Electrical Issues - 03 4 cylinder EX