General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke and spark plug wires

Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Smoke and spark plug wires

Hello, this is my first car with these types of engines, and I'm having multiple problems, first off when I hammer on it pretty hard the spark plug wires pop out, (brand new wires and plugs) also I have a lot of oil on the spark plug wire and spark plug. I'm thinking cylinder rings, but I want to know others people's opinions. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 PM

If the oil is on the outside of the spark plug, ie not the firing tip, then its just your valve cover spark plug seals that are bad. They come with a valve cover set which isn't very expensive.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome...one of the "rules" is to add your car info to you signature, that way we know what we are dealing with....80 or 12......but I can "only guess" you have a tube seal or lower tube seal issue........now based upon you user name....replace the upper and lower tube seals and call it a day.....PS, stop "hammering on the thing"..please.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Supper Moderator

poorman...the cb7s can be hammered on all day. they are stout engines if they are maintained correctly. When my accord was stock I would red line her 10-15 times a day easy. Never once had a engine issue other than my dizzy.(but that is common with every Honda to go bad) Only auto trans issues. But that was my fault b/c I down shifted all the time. Or ran out 2nd gear and not go into 3rd and let it wind down when slowing down. Stuff like that. But the engine is still stout. With good compression in all cyls. It’s all how you maintain your Honda. Take care of your Honda and your Honda will take care of you.

Now for the OP poorman hit it right on the head. It’s your tube seals and or your valve cover tube seals. With the pressure of the oil in the tube is what it causing your plug wires to keep popping out.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

G, I'm sure the car can handle it, to your point as long as the car is taken care of....I'm more concerned with the driver being able to handle the car....get my point...Thanks

Last edited by poorman212; 12-12-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Haha well thanks everybody for the responses, I am going to get new gaskets and try to install them this and will let everybody know, thanks.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Search google for "wYU8qtPzQOY" for a super relevant video.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well as i was going to replace the gaskets, i decided to check it one more time, and this time nothing happen the spark plugs stayed where they were suppose to, but as a side note, a couple hours ago, my car heat shot up to the H Level when i was in idle. I shut it off as i was getting scared it was going to blow. Well 30 seconds later i was holding up traffic and i turned it on and drove watching the temp gauge closely and it shot down back to the middle normal temp, weird. I stopped at a light and it shot up again at idle then right when i started moving and pressing on the gas, the meter went back to normal. I drove it home and sat in my driveway at idle and the temperature gauge never moved. Any one know a cause for that? Could my temperature gauge be bad or is some other mechanical issue? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

when the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and check that the radiator is filled to the top with coolant.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, well i just checked it and its full. Now this is the first time I've had a 4 cylinder car, if you turn it on should you be able to see the fluid travel through the radiator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke and spark plug wires