General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So yeah, My car was shaking violently when braking....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation So yeah, My car was shaking violently when braking....

So yeah... my car had the typical symptoms of "warped" rotors so i thought because it was doing the usual shaking/pulsing when braking. This morning i decided it had gotten to the point where i definitely needed to spend the money and replace the rotors and pads, or at least have the rotors turned. i looked at the rotors and they appeared to be barely worn so when i got to O'Reillys i just got a scotchbrite pad and decided i was going to try to scuff the rotors and pads to see if that helped, even just temporarily before buying everything. I get home, take the wheel off and pulled the caliper and the pads were practically new.(I just purchased the car 1,000 miles ago so i didnt know what the situation was with the brakes.) anyway, when i got the caliper off, the rotor just like wabbled around and i was like WTF!!!??? the 4 outer hub plate nuts werent even finger tight!!

The guy i bought the car from didnt know anything about cars at all and took it to the shop any time it needed something so i know he didnt do it... Some moron who replaced the rotors just forgot to tighten them... how do you miss that!

So anyway, i tightened them and obviously had to double check the other side which was fine. I found the repair records and just 5,000 miles ago Brake Depot replaced the front rotors and pads. Nice job guys!!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sheesh...scratch those guys off the list of places to get work done...

Old 05-02-2010, 04:19 PM

WOW, thats is a lawsuit on their part. Good thing it did not become a safety hazard for you and were able to fix it before something bad happened.