General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question some issues

hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm used to working on my lt1 camaro but needed a gas saver. i just bought a 1987 accord lx 2.0 carb. it has 273000 miles and in perfect condition. nearly... i paid 700$ for it. it has no rips tears dings dents or anything bad cosmetically. engine wise, well I'm not to sure. when its running it runs like a champ. so i need some help from people in the know to help me trouble shoot its small issues. issue number one. the car will not hold a charge. the battery light stays on and this car wasn't driven for about 3 months prior. i went ahead and took the battery out after jumping it and it died immediately. obviously this is the alternators fault. right? it has some serious trouble getting started when cold, or when i am jumping it. i figure this is a lack of electricity right? also one thing I'm clueless on. it gets stuck revving at about 2000 rpm and climbs to about 3000 rpm. it also shift kinda rough. what do i need to fix? driving along i hear a loud clack/squeak from the front left of the car. it goes away when i brake. also the brakes and rotors are gone on this car, this could be at fault. right? any help would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to driving it everyday since its in such good condition! also it'll spare me the mpg of my camaro! thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Default Hi New Member

Pull the alternator and the battery out and take it to your local
A-Zone or Advance and have them test it off the car..They will let you know whats up with those parts...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails some issues-navyflag.jpg   some issues-marinesflag.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok no one knows whats up with the revs though?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Cold idle on a carb is a lot higher than a FI car. Mine is carbonated and it revs high to warm up then idles fine after.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hm. ok so some of the high idle could be normal? should i just clean the carb on it? cause it revs high enough to clunk when it changes from park to drive. its significant. it gets stuck close to 3000 rpm even when warm.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ill repost on this when i get her a new alternator this Saturday. then ill run some fuel system cleaner and carb cleaner. maybe a tune up and let you guys know. any more thoughts will be appreciated. thanks.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 AM

3000 when warm is high, should be around 1k. I would get some carb cleaner and spray around the choke, it have been gummed up

Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

If you figure out the high idle PLEASE post the answer. I have an 89 LX Auto (~187K miles) that has done the same thing in cold weather since the day I got it. However the 87 LX Manual (~238K miles) never has????

Also, on the alternator, if it's a carb eng (FI eng even easier), you can pull the hoses off the heater core and slide it on the pass side of the car. Or you can do what the book says and pull the drivers side cv shaft....I prefer the hoses.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 PM

Does the idle situation only occur when its cold out? Or all of the time?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

My youngest son's (89 LX Auto) happens only when the outside temp is low (~35 or less). I'm not sure on "imcdowel" and by no means an I trying to divert his questions.

One more thing I've learned on 86-89 carb accords (the hard way). In auto's if you have a slight "stumble/miss" at around 45 mph or in manuals, under slow acel, a dead spot @ 1,500 rpm's before chasing acel pumps/power vales, carb replacement, vac advance, tune ups, ect. check the #7 vac hose (if original numbering still there) on the back side of the carb (between carb and firewall) at the base for a broken hose and it's hard to see. Spent way too much to learn this.....spent too much on the 86, only spent 50 cents on the 87 & 89 to correct the same issue.

Quick Reply: some issues