General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare door key

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM

The hardware store mentioned they have a device that plugs into the vehicle to read the immobilizer code that would be programmed to the key chip (which deactivates the immobilizer) One employee had to look up where it attaches on Google. Maybe the device wouldn't be necessary at a Honda dealership since they'd have the code by running the VIN?

Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

The dealership has to plug into your car's computer. They essentially tell the engine computer that the new key is allowed to start the vehicle.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The dealership has to plug into your car's computer. They essentially tell the engine computer that the new key is allowed to start the vehicle.
Is it only through the dealership, or could a locksmith also provide this service?

Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Some locksmiths may be able to program your car. You'll have to ask first.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
So the computer is programmed to accept the key? I assumed the new key is programmed with the same code as the original key - but this is all new to me. I guess it would be more logical to program the computer to accept the key.

I just re-read Toecutter's post - the ECU is programmed to accept the new key, and evidently will accept more than one key code. That being the case - I think I'd prefer to have it done at a Honda dealership. If I could have that done for about $70 it would be worth it to me.

Last edited by Stevek66; 09-13-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Any reputable locksmith with a license can program the ECU with an additional key. If I'm not mistaken your ECU can hold up to 4 keys. It must be done at the dealership or a locksmith that pays for the license to do it (each license is for one key program). I prefer the dealership because I know it will be done right the first time (don't trust them to cut the key correctly on a newer version key). The only way to save money is to buy an OEM key cheaper online and then take that key to have it cut and programmed. You will only save around $15 purchasing the key online. I did it last year because I needed a third key for my accord.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 09-13-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 PM

You key on Amazon cost $28. The dealership charges around $45. If you buy a key and take it to the dealership it must be a Honda product they will not cut and program an aftermarket key. Just to give you an idea look below:

OEM Key OEM Key

Honda site key

Old 09-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stevek66
I will. Interesting links, thanks - with the story of a situation I'm attempting to avoid! Saw the Amazon blank key - the one at the hardware store last night was a TD-30. Spoke to the Honda dealer today - as someone else mentioned here they can make a new key based on the VIN. Mine is quite worn - so I'm glad that option exists. I'm thinking the door locks themselves are hardly worn, 99.9% of the time the FOB was probably used. Speaking of FOBs (good info which I'll save) I was thinking that would be another albeit much more expensive option if my key couldn't be mechanically duplicated. Ace Hardware now has a whole Duracell display with keys, FOBs, and replacement cases with batteries (not sure what the benefit there is - unless the buttons were really worn or for better appearance).

I'm all for backups - multiple data backups of systems I work on, a scanned copy of my driver's license, etc, and of course a spare key(s). Went to the Honda dealership this evening since they were open until 8pm. The guy was by himself and didn't have time to do it. He said to try again Saturday - if they can they'll do it. Otherwise I'll need to make an appointment. Spoke to the receptionist - she said the first Saturday she has is Sept 22 and it may be better to drop of the car... for an extra key? Another case of new (but not really so new) technology making things more complicated, time consuming, and expensive. When I bought my 2002 Silverado last March the dealer gave me a second set of keys and a FOB! I then had the hardware store make a copy (non-chip) for a few bucks. I was told I think $62 + the cost of the key at the dealership. Ace Hardware charges around $80. I've heard Lowes & Home Depot can make chip (transponder) key copies now, I may also check that option. But with the worn key, I may have to go with the dealer.

An inconvenience, but I've heard Hondas are one of the most stolen vehicles. If this system stops it, then it's worth it IMO.
That was the whole idea of adding a chip to the key... to cut down on vehicle thefts. The 97 and earlier Accords and even the 2000 and earlier Civics are high on the stolen lists, because they don't use a chipped key.
My wife's car came with a non-chipped key. All it would do is unlock the doors. Yes, it fit the ignition, and would turn the engine over, but you could literally grind the battery to dead and never start the car. Put in the chipped key, and it'll fire right up. It's kind of hard to steal a car, if the fuel pump isn't working.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 PM

The ECU/chip technology makes sense to me now. Ideally, I would have it done at the dealership. Sounds like it may be worth the wait and higher price. I may call tomorrow (Saturday - service is open 8am-4pm) just to see if there's a chance I could get in. In not, which is likely - I think I'll make an appointment.

Quick Reply: Spare door key