General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Default Speedo not working

I HAD a D4 flashing light and a check engine light and speedo not working , so I researched and a common problem was the VSS. I replaced it with an Ebay one. It was not hard, just very hard to get to. Now the D4 is not flashing anymore and the check engine light is off, but the speedo is not working still.

I have read about a speedo head but not sure what it is.

What should I do next besides check codes because I can never do that right?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Forgot to mention that right after I got the coupe the d4 started flashing and the speedometer and odometer stopped working.
Now no flashing lights but the speedo and odometer don't work. Grease under my nails, a back ache from bending over and its still not fixed.. grrrr..

Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are you sure you inserted the tiny link between the VSS and the axle drive gear? If you lost this when removing old VSS and failed to insert a new one, this would account for no speedometer movement.

Have you noticed whether the odometer is working? If yes, the VSS signal is being transmitted, but speedometer circuit or movement is damaged. You will either have to pull and replace the instrument panel, or send your panel off to be repaired. Check www for sources of this service and check for posts on same subject.

If odometer is not working either, then you may not be getting a VSS signal to the instrument panel. Check wiring (org) and all connectors.

good luck

Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://techauto.te.funpic.org

on the upper left side under REPAIR GUIDE you will see VSS click on it .. Hope this helps ..

Also if you look at the pictures under VSS REMOVAL ,, Texas is talking about the little drive link to make sure that you reinstalled it

next time you do some work on your car you might want to wear a pair of those thin latex gloves....No grease under finger nails :-)

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-22-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Cool, thanks. In the trouble shooting section on the VSS page it says to check for voltage, and repair the "open" , what its the "open"?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

An open would be the wiring fault that is causing you not to get voltage at the VSS.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Just went to the market and on the way it was not working, but on the way home it started working. Does that make any sense?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

When the speedometer stops working, try to use the cruise control. If the cruise control works, then the VSS is sending out the right signal.

Does the speedometer needle go to ~19 mph when its not working?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM

No, it does not move at all. I tried the CC when I had the d4 flashing and it would not work. It is still working. Yay!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 PM

So it is not working 100% of the time anymore.
Now I just have no speedometer. D4 is no longer flashing and no CEL.
Cruise control works, even while the speedo is not.

Quick Reply: Speedo not working