General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo problems and removing instrument guages?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Speedo problems and removing instrument guages?

Hi all, I never thought i would own a honda but i just bought a 95 Accord Ex yesterday and it seems like a really good car! I took it for a test drive and it's awesome for having 275,000 km on it and handled nice and the interior is mint! I need something better on gas than my 75 car so i bought it. Now i am trying to get it ready for the safety so i can start driving it. One big problem is that the speedometer does not work it goes up to 20 km when i turn the key on and jumps around 10-30 just sitting there and does not go any higher when driving. Also the odemeter is at 246999 and is JUST about to turn but it does not work. Also the round trip odemeter does not work and the cruise control button will not light up. Could the stuck odemeter be the problem or is it the VSS causing everything?? It is weird how it is stuck at such an even number. I am also trying to get the instrument guages off but not sure how they come off i got the 2 upper screws up but then what??? Thanks everyone.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Speedo problems and removing instrument guages?

there are so many more screws than that to take the cluster out. its a huge job, one thats so huge you want to make absolutely sure that the guage is broken. are there any check engine lights on?

Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM

You could buy a new speddometer, but you have to register the miles with DMV, i think that woul be legal right? Not sure.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 PM

I don't know about nationwide but in the state of Montana you don't have to register your mileage if the car is over 9 years old... My car has a new speedo/odometer and I didn't have to list mileage when I bought it... check and make sure that your VSS is even giving off a voltage reading... if it is and it's fluctuating then you most likely have a problem with your speedo.... I have a 94 accord ex and apparently it's not uncommon to have the speedo fail in these year accords 94-97... On the right hand side of this page, towards the bottom is sponsored links... go to honda parts warehouse and lookup the insturment guages and it will give you a full teardown.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks everyone i did some testing on the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and it does not work at all, the wires going to it are getting 12 volts but where it is supposed to pulse 0-5 volts when the wheel it turning it just reads 0. So i am going to get a new sensor and hopefully that will fix everything.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

please let us know how it goes

Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok i have an update on my speedo problem. I asked a few other automotive stores for the price of a new sensor and they were over $300!! :O So i went to the autowrecker and found one and took it off for $25 I got home and tested it and woohoo!! it was reading fine on the voltmeter so i hooked it up on the car and my speedo works! BUT my odemeter still does not work For the safety all that has to work is the speedometer though so i took it back off untill i am ready to take it in for the safety because i am thinking the sensor might burn out alot faster because it is trying to send alot of current to the odemeter because it is trying to spin 5 numbers all at once and it is stuck. I don't know if that is true or not??? But better safe then sorry. After the safety i will probably try to tackle taking out the instrument guages see if can get the odemeter working.