General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer problem again....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Default Speedometer problem again....

Hello,

the speedometer in my car was acting up a few months ago . It would work intermittently. I am driving on the interstate or anywhere and suddenly it will dip to zero, sometimes bouncing back to the speed right away and other times, it just stays back at zero no matter what my driving speed is. I posted the issue immediately. I really appreciate all the responses.

Then it randomly started working fine and was not acting up until a week ago. When I watched it carefully, I noticed that when the speedometer drops to 0 while the car is running, the odometer stops too, thus giving me false result about the distance I traveled too. I need to check if affects the display of total number of miles the car has in its life.

Another thing is if the road is straight and speedometer drops to zero, it stays there for a while, sometimes as long as 20-30 mins, which when I realized the odometer stops too. However, if I am driving in city and making lot of turns, it is very likely that speedometer jumps back to right speed after the turn is complete. I dont know if it is the right turn or left turn that brings the needle back. My cruise control works fine even with the speedometer needle to zero. and if the cruise control is set already, it seems less likely that the needle will drop to zero, and when it does, it comes back up in less than a second....

Also, one more question... how much does the speedometer cost if I am to replace the cluster?

Any thoughts or ideas highly appreciated.....

thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Speedometer problem again....

You can remove your gauge panel and have speedometer repaired, or buy a used panel and replace. You will need to have mileage adjusted by a repair site that has this capability, or simply file a new mileage statement w/ your state DMV. Replacement w/ a used panel is probably cheapest route.

good luck

Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM

it can be either a bad electrical portion of the vehicle speed sensor(common), a bad driven or drive gear for the vehicle speed sensor(less common) or a bad speed gauge(less common than vss problem but more common than bad gear)

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM

oh! and your odometer will not measure the distance traveled when it's having problems.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda
You will need to have mileage adjusted by a repair site that has this capability, or simply file a new mileage statement w/ your state DMV.
I am having the same exact problem. I changed the VSS, but that was not the problem. it is most likely what texashonda suggested, however how do you determine the actual mileage? does the computer keep track of this or something?

Thanks.