General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer problems. (including odometer)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Default Speedometer problems. (including odometer)

My speedometer stopped working along with my odometer( which are connected). So, i did some research on it and heard that changing the VSS would probably fix it. So i went out and did that. That still didn't fix it. So, with my research i was hearing things like dash cluster. So i'm not sure what it is i need to replace.

My speedometer will work for a while, and then the next start up it won't. So it's not consistent. Also, the lights that shine over the dials aren't working consistently either. At first i thought it was a bad bulb, but if i hit the dash a few times they'd light. Does this mean bad bulbs or bad connections. I did take the dash apart and nothing stood out. So, i'm not sure what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Does your clock work? If not, check the #13 fuse in the passengers side fuse box. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Minnesotan, what year Accord? The fuse-13 idea probably doesn't work for all years.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM

Yes my clock does work, and it's a 94. I'm hearing that the "20mph needle" is common for my gen.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the odometers are known to break in the 94-97s. I had it happen to mine. the VSS would set of a check engine light, and i believe the cruise control would not work as well.

Your best bet to replacing your odometer is to buy one off ebay. They range from $50-100. You can either find one that has close miles to yours, or a lot of sellers can set the mileage to what you want.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah i was considering that, i was just hoping i could fix it without having to spend more money replacing parts. But i guess i just may have to. I almost don't want to buy another one cause it might break again haha. I'll just learn to read the RPM's.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I always suspected that the problem with the speedometer sticking at ~19mph was a problem with cracked solder joints. I sent my speedometer off to a shop that repairs them to keep the mileage the same.

I just found via google another forum where someone removed the speedometer from the cluster, then removed the green circuit board. They remelted the solder joints and the problem was fixed.

If you are good with a soldering iron, then you can give it a shot. If you try this, let us know if it works.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I always suspected that the problem with the speedometer sticking at ~19mph was a problem with cracked solder joints. I sent my speedometer off to a shop that repairs them to keep the mileage the same.

I just found via google another forum where someone removed the speedometer from the cluster, then removed the green circuit board. They remelted the solder joints and the problem was fixed.

If you are good with a soldering iron, then you can give it a shot. If you try this, let us know if it works.
Oh alright thanks. i'll have to try that. I did take the speedometer out , but i didn't know what to do from there.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Take apart the cluster and remove the speedometer. Be careful not to damage the needle when doing this.

If you search "94 95 96 97 ACCORD SPEEDOMETER GAUGE instrument cluster" on ebay you can see the back of a 94-97 speedometer.

On the back of the speedometer, there is a green circuit board with a bunch of solder joints on it. If I was doing this, I would remove the old solder by using a copper wick. Then I would put some flux on it, then put new solder on the joint. I would do that to all the joints on the back.

You can just remelt each solder joint on the back if you don't have the braided copper wick and flux.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Alright so am i just looking for bad soldering? or am i resoldering everyone?

Quick Reply: Speedometer problems. (including odometer)