General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer problems. (including odometer)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know.

I would repair any obvious bad solder joints to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem, then I would redo them all.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 AM

Yeah see that's the thing. None of them really stick out as being bad. And i don't really know much about soldering. So i found a speedometer cluster online i'm gonna buy just to replace my old one.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My wife's 97 6 cyl accord has the same problem, and I have been wanting to find a new instrument cluster instead of a used one, but now I might have to check and see if the soldering would fix it. The VSS is still good, I've double checked by using the cruise control, and even if the speedometer doesn't register, (it stays about the 19 mph mark) the cruise control works fine. The tach is also starting to behave in much the same way as the speedo, it will work fine, and later it will bounce around, and sometimes not work at all.
This has caused the car to try and down shift or shift up when it shouldn't which I'm afraid is damaging the transmission, especially when it shifts inappropriately on the freeway. Anybody else had this issue with shifting/tachometer?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

When both speedo & tach are getting flaky, that points towards flaky connections in the cluster (solder points or wiring-harness plug).

Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by fraughton
My wife's 97 6 cyl accord has the same problem, and I have been wanting to find a new instrument cluster instead of a used one, but now I might have to check and see if the soldering would fix it. The VSS is still good, I've double checked by using the cruise control, and even if the speedometer doesn't register, (it stays about the 19 mph mark) the cruise control works fine. The tach is also starting to behave in much the same way as the speedo, it will work fine, and later it will bounce around, and sometimes not work at all.
This has caused the car to try and down shift or shift up when it shouldn't which I'm afraid is damaging the transmission, especially when it shifts inappropriately on the freeway. Anybody else had this issue with shifting/tachometer?
I can't really help with the speedometer since i just bought a new one on ebay for about $20. My suggestion is to get just the speedometer, and replace the board on the back so you can keep your old odometer.

About the shifting, When i was checking my VSS and i took it out, I put it back quickly without much effort since i was buying a new one. By doing this i was getting an Engine light and my D4 was blinking when i was driving. It was doing what your car is with the shifting too, and for me it had to do with the VSS. So, I'm guessing you have a bad ( or loose) VSS?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Default Speedometer repair

I was able to repair the speedometer on my 1997 Accord by using the method mentioned before of reheating the solder joints on the speedometer.

Now my fuel gauge doesn't seem to work, its pegged at full, any ideas?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So i just pulled out the gauge cluster and am wondering if anyone had already taken pictures of what they soldered? Nothing looks bad and every solder joint is TINY so i was hoping for some guidance.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I think that you would take apart the cluster, remove the speedometer, then reheat the joints on the green board that is on the back of the speedometer.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM

I have a couple of problems with my dashboard guages as well...

The speedometer is sticky sometimes when I first start driving and after a while of driving (5-10mins) it gets better. It usually sticks around 20mph like the you guys said then it jumps up to actual speed. It also sometimes sticks when I do a quick 0-60. It'll freeze at 20 jump to 40 then 60. And sometimes I end up goin 70-80 on accident. oops. w/e. Im planning on getting some digital guages soon. but not all digital the partial digital which has the speedometer and a digital mph clocker in the corner.

The uhh gas guage also is sticky I filled my car up yesterday and its still saying E with the light on WTF> uhh guess ill buy whole digital dash....
And when it is up on the F it will stay there for 3-4 days. and drop to half.

So wats up with the accord dash system?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel level and the low fuel warning light are both controlled by the fuel sending unit in your gas tank.

The fuel level and the low fuel light use different wires, so I would check that the connector is clean and secure for it. Also, there is a ground nearby that you may want to clean and tighten.

You speedometer problem sounds like the ones common for 94-97 accords. This is pertaining to your 01 in your signature, right?

Quick Reply: Speedometer problems. (including odometer)