General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Squealing coming from power steering pump.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Default Squealing coming from power steering pump.

It only happens when the engine is cold - for about 1 to 2 seconds after startup and then it stops. I replaced the serpentine belt and power steering belt (both just in case) in hopes of getting rid of the squealing sound but it had not effect on it. I've tried many different tensions on both belts and that had no effect either. Right now there's about 1/4 inch give on the belts which is to spend I believe. Could it be a pulley or something? I'm almost positive it's from the power steering.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

If your remove the PS belt and start the car, does the sound go away?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If your remove the PS belt and start the car, does the sound go away?
Trying that in a few. Well report back. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 PM

With ps belt off it still happened. With serpentine belt off it didn't happen. After I put the serpentine belt back on, it still didn't happen. Maybe it's fixed, maybe not. I'll try a colld start later and tomorrow and see.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I found that the serpentine belt tended to give a noise and not the PS belt on my 95 accord. If the noise returns, adjust the tension on the alternator adjusting bolt by one turn (clockwise), then see if the noise returns. Repeat as necessary.

The proper way to adjust the tension on the alternator is to loosen the upper pivot bolt, the nut on the bottom of the alternator (kind of a pain to get to, the PS belt is kind of in the way). Then you have that 10mm bolt on the bottom. There is a very recent thread with a diagram about this:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ne-belt-54245/

Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM

I adjusted the tension earlier today while I was out because it squealled still when starting. After adjusting the tension, the squeal sound went from lasting 1-2 seconds to lasting only about half a second tops. I'm guessing one more turn and it'll stop.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Okay, so it's about as tight as I'm comfortable making it, and the squeaking is still there (though not as much). Could this have anything to do with a bad alternator since I now know it's coming from the serpentine belt? I noticed while driving home late last night that when the radiator fan kicks on, the headlights all but shut completely off for a second. Same happens when I turn the A/C on from the off position. The battery is brand new - had to replace it because when I first picked the car up, it needed to be jumped and the battery would die every night.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The belt may be stretched if it's truly a serpentine belt (spring tensioner, not fixed adjustable tensioner). A stretched serpentine belt may squeal since tensioner can't fully compensate.

It might be possible for the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer to make a squealing noise. The rubber bushing in the crankshaft pulley can become loose allowing the bushing to slip relative to the inner drive. I don't know that this would make a noise but if you can't find any other reason for belt squeal it may be worth exploring. Check is to make a radial mark from center across the bushing and outer pulley. If radial mark shows signs of rotating circumferentially, the bushing is slipping.

good luck