General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt in a '93

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Default Timing Belt in a '93

This weekend I will be replacing the timing belt and timing belt tensioners in my '92 Accord. This is the time I've ever done this big of a job on my Honda. I have a Haynes manual to help me. I am looking for any help, tips, and advice on ways to make sure it goes smoothly, and that it starts up when I turn the key after. I looked around the site and didn't find any guides to use. Any information that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if I should replace the water pump while I am at it, or leave it alone since I haven't had any trouble with it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First look in the DIY forum. There are several good posts on this subject.

Second, check youtube videos by ericthecarguy, briansmobile1, and many others.

Definitely replace the water pump, unless you know the history and it has < 100k/7yrs of use. OEM is best, but many have had good luck w/ aftermarket pumps.

Also suggest replacing the rear balance shaft cover oring. This ring is a frequent leaker in older Accords.

The biggest challenge to this job is removing the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt. It is very tight (> 500 ft-lbs breakout torque usually) and requires either a very good air impact wrench, or honda restraint tool (holds the crankshaft pulley/engine) two good 18" breaker bars, and a 3-4 ft cheater pipe to use w/ a 19mm deep socket on the bolt. Again youtube videos and DIY forum have some discussions on this problem.

Many have started the TB job, but threw in towel when they could not break the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt loose w/ regular tools. A tip is to use generous application of heat to the bolt head. This expands bolt and reduces friction under the large washer under bolt head.

good luck