General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS Light is ON

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Default SRS Light is ON

Hi. I got my 1996 accord DX few days ago and the SRS light is always on. Does anybody know the reason? Thank you.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SRS Light is ON

The SRS light means that the airbag system detected an error (like the check engine light) and stored a code.

Go to the link in the DIY section called ACC 5th Gen. There is a CEL code retrieval link that you should follow. Just count the SRS flashes. At the bottom of the page is a pdf for SRS. It can give you more information on how to troubleshoot.

Also, post the SRS code(s) on here, and other members will give you their advice.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM

I tried and got 9 long, then 2 short, then 7 long, again 2 short, 7 long and finally 3 short. So what should I do now? The website has codes for engine problems only but not for SRS

Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM

7-2 & 7-3 mean an internal failure of the srs control unit

9-2 means an interruption of power to the srs control unit occured

first i would clear the dtcs.

then if it recodes, i would get the battery and alternator tested. those codes are primarily from a bad or low charged battery.

after the battery and alternator tests and repairs(if needed), clear the code again and if it recodes, check the code. if it's 7-2 or 7-3 replace the srs control unit. if it's 9-2 it's possible it can be a bad srs control unit or a bad power supply wire to the srs control unit. we can help you diagnose it if you want.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Default SRS Light ON

2001 Honda Accord V6

I have code 9-2 & 5-2. How would i troubleshoot this problem?..
Also would buying the service manual help in troubleshooting? If so Which service manual. Helm Inc. Has to Manuals the troubleshooting manual and the regular service manual and the V6 supplemental Manual. Which one is helpful.

THanks

Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Helm would be best.

As a test....can you confirm the cables on the battery are clean and tight and the "other ends" of the ground are clean as well.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Benny O
2001 Honda Accord V6

I have code 9-2 & 5-2. How would i troubleshoot this problem?..
Also would buying the service manual help in troubleshooting? If so Which service manual. Helm Inc. Has to Manuals the troubleshooting manual and the regular service manual and the V6 supplemental Manual. Which one is helpful.

THanks
In regards to the Helm site, it shows the various manuals available. In terms of the service manual for your Accord V6, the V6 supplement (Item/Part #: 61S8401) is used with the 1998-2002 Accord 2/4-Door L4 Service Manual (S/M) (Item/Part #: 61S8400). The Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) (Item/Part #: 61S8400EL) can be used in conjunction with the Service Manual; however, in general, it includes only basic electrical troubleshooting as a whole, and not specific procedures to individual circuits or problems. The ETM’s strength is more in-depth wiring diagrams compared to just the S/M (you still need to understand how to read the circuit diagrams. – Although these manuals are very useful and worth their weight in gold, for the SRS trouble codes you listed at this point, the manual won’t give you much more than what I will list below unless you were doing the additional troubleshooting steps for an intermittent failure.

DTC 5-2 and 9-2 are related to Internal Failure of the SRS unit
  • Check battery and charging system. If voltage is low, repair charging system before troubleshooting the SRS.
  • If battery and charging system is now OK, did the battery ever went dead?
  • Erase the trouble code, refer to this Honda TSB: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/fi...ns/A06-009.pdf
  • Turn the ignition switch ON (II), check that the SRS indicator light comes on for about 6 seconds and then goes off.
  • Does the SRS light stay on? If yes, then replace the SRS unit. If no, then it was an intermittent failure and the system is OK right now.
  • For intermittent failure, then the Service Manual has additional troubleshooting steps.