General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS Light on 2001 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
adp477
Unregistered
Default SRS Light on 2001 Accord EX

Hi,
Last week my SRS light came on & does not go away. I took it to a local Honda dealer & he asked $95 just to read the code.I walked away. I then took it to local a auto parts shop - Murrays. Loaned the OBDII reader (made by Actron). I found no DTCs. Then I went to another local Autozone and chatted with a rep there. He said they do not have any reader that would read the SRS light code. Their reader can decode only Check Engine lights.

I searched on this forum & saw the procedure to reset the SRS light. I do not want to reset it without getting to know whether there is actually something wrong.

I have heard that if the SRS light is ON, then the air bags will not deploy in case of an accident. Is this true?

This is my second post & thank you all for all the messages for my first post.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: SRS Light on 2001 Accord EX

you might call around and find a local independent that has a compatible scan tool. They might read the code for alot less, or you can pony up a few thousand $$$and get your own scan tool. $2500 for a fully loaded OTC genisys on EBAY just like mine
The training module at Honda university online says the system is disabled if the light is on.
But I've had people online swear their systemworked just fine when they hit the brick wall.
resetting and seeing if the unit recodes is the first step of the diagnostic procedure.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

dont risk it! as far as i know, the airbag system will not work properly with the light on. something is wrong and that is why the light came on. your car has a very intelligent way of figuring out if there are any problems with it self.

i have two guesses. one is that your car has been in a serious accident and that the airbag fixin that was done was **** poor.... and you should have it fixed so you are safe.

or

the drivers side airbag actuator in the steering column which spins around has worn out and the contact is no good anymore, which would make the drivers side airbag definately not work right....and you can figure out what i think about this.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM

has the battery been disconnected that you know of recently ?? If so it would kick the srs code and if so just reset it.......

if not,,, you need to read the code and post it here

Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 AM
adp477
Unregistered

Yes. My OEM battery died after almost 5 years & 10 months. I had it replaced in mid Jan 07.
I replaced the timing belt the next week & SRS light came on the following week.

I will now reset the SRS light using the procedure I found on this forum & will report the findings.

For the record, my car has never been in an accident - either serious or minor. So i guess it is battery or the drivers side airbag actuator in the steering column.

Thanks a lot for looking into this & appreciate all the help.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
bedwards97
Unregistered

I've had the same thing happen twice on my wife's 01 EX. Took it to Honda and the first instance it was the seatbelt, and the second instance it was the sensor in the passenger seat that detects if someone is sitting there. Both cases were covered under a lifetime warranty regarding safety equipment. No charge for parts, labor, or even to read the code. I'd consider taking it back to Honda before I'd just reset the code. More than likely you have a real issue that needs to be fixed, and chances are it'll be free.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Our 01 EX has the exact same situation! Light on all the time. I called the dealer and he said nothing abouta Lifetime Warranty on such work.
Is he mistaken??????????

I didn't give it much thought, but if the system truly is disabled when the light is on, I can't live with that? What's the staright scoop on this Warranty situation?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 01:33 PM

isn't there an issue with the OPDS on those cars? The Honda dealer should know about it..if you go to your dealer on a regular basis, sometimes youc an ask them to cut you a break on reading the code (ask them to do you a favor and read it)

Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
adp477
Unregistered

I finally decided to try my luck. I am just coming back from a local dealer. He charged me $95 to read the code.

The DTC on my car is 13-1. ie. driver side impact sensor has a problem. He said it is an intermediate failure as they reset the code (i should have done it myself) & even after driving he cannot get it to be 'recoded'. He said wait for about 2 weeks and see if the SRS light comes on again. If it does, then that sensor needs to be replaced. Parts & Labor would be approx $270.

Also, he put in my VIN and i overlooked at his pc. The OPDS - (occupant passenger detection sys is my guess) is covered under an extended warranty by Honda for 10 years or 150k miles.

I also had tried a couple of local mechanics, but they said the SRS light code is something only a more sophisticated (costly) reader can decode which they did not have.

Also, as per my conversation with him, lifetime warranty is only on seat belts & buckles. Not airbag or srs system.