General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Default RE: Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.

Here's a ink to the genuine Honda part from Majestic Honda: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IBUTOR+%282%29
That eBay deal sure looks good if it is the complete assembled OEM distributor! MajesticHonda wants $73 for the igniter alone, and that doesn't even include shipping!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Here's a ink to the genuine Honda part from Majestic Honda: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IBUTOR+%282%29
That eBay deal sure looks good if it is the complete assembled OEM distributor! MajesticHonda wants $73 for the igniter alone, and that doesn't even include shipping!
Yes, and our local Honda dealer usually chargesalmost double what Majestic and Brickell charge. Don't ask my why. (Maybe to reveal the answer would endanger Canadiannational security. You can't be too safe nowadays.)

I got a reply to my OEM question to the seller, and he claims the unit is indeed OEM and has the igniter inside. "It's OEM, it's the right one for your car,and it'sready to bolt on", he said.

I've asked for a shipping quote and, if it's reasonable, I'm going to go out on the reliability limb and buy it. I don't buy lotto tickets, so what the hell, I'll do a little gambling with that dist. The seller has over 600 feedbacks with 100% postive, so I doubt if it's even that much of a gamble.

But there are two real, and quite possible, down sides.
1. The car konks out tomorrow and I have no parts forpossibly aweek. (We have the bike, but you know how it is with a bike as the primary vehicle.)
2. The ultimateproblem is not in the distributor. In that case,I cannot return the dist. unless it's faulty. (Of course I'm not sure if Honda would take back an ignition module, even if it's unused.)

Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

Yes, and our local Honda dealer usually chargesalmost double what Majestic and Brickell charge.
Dang that's rough! My local dealer charges the exact "list price" on the Majestic website instead of Majestic's "or price". Still alot cheaper, but not too bad. I have checked on multiple parts.
That could be due to the fact that there are 3 Honda dealers in town and they are pretty competitive

Old 09-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

WOW .... 3 Honda dealers!!!!! From our convos up to now, I wouldn't have expected 3 traffic lights!!!! 20 minutes to go 15 miles ...... try 3 miles where I live!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 PM
pointer
Unregistered

Hello Guys, I'm a first time poster in this forum so bare with me. My stepson has a 95 accord and we are having the exact same problem that started this thread. I drove the car myself and it quit on me going down the road, I pulled over and it cranked right back and I made it home. Sometimes it runs and sometimes it don't. I took it to my mechanic the day after labor day and he still has it as of today. He's a cerified mech. and a good friend so I know I'm getting the straight on things. he's really good but this has him stumped. He has changed the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, the module in the distributor, today he replaced the wiring harness in the key switch and still no go, cranks and dies, cranks -runs - starts up the road and dies. He has pulled the carpet up to check and see if the computer was wet and it wasn't. When it dies you have to completely turn the switch off and then back on to re-crank. He said that when it dies it's losing fire to the injectors but he can't figure out why, he has even went to the local community college auto mech teacher and picked his brain. About everybody says change the fuel pump relay but thats not it. The relay and the dis. module came from Honda and the fuel pump from the local auto parts, so the parts are probably good. I hope someone here can help? so I can past on the infor. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: pointer

Hello Guys, I'm a first time poster in this forum so bare with me. My stepson has a 95 accord and we are having the exact same problem that started this thread. I drove the car myself and it quit on me going down the road, I pulled over and it cranked right back and I made it home. Sometimes it runs and sometimes it don't. I took it to my mechanic the day after labor day and he still has it as of today. He's a cerified mech. and a good friend so I know I'm getting the straight on things. he's really good but this has him stumped. He has changed the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, the module in the distributor, today he replaced the wiring harness in the key switch and still no go, cranks and dies, cranks -runs - starts up the road and dies. He has pulled the carpet up to check and see if the computer was wet and it wasn't. When it dies you have to completely turn the switch off and then back on to re-crank. He said that when it dies it's losing fire to the injectors but he can't figure out why, he has even went to the local community college auto mech teacher and picked his brain. About everybody says change the fuel pump relay but thats not it. The relay and the dis. module came from Honda and the fuel pump from the local auto parts, so the parts are probably good. I hope someone here can help? so I can past on the infor. Thanks.
Did you or your mechanic read the OBD code? If so, what was it - code 15?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 AM
pointer
Unregistered

I'll check on the OBD code today.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: pointer
...........When it dies you have to completely turn the switch off and then back on to re-crank. ......................
Now that I have re-read your post a couple of times, I'm pretty sure that this particularsymtomis significant, but I am not familiar enough with the Accord ignition system to know why. Maybe others more experienced than mewill take note of it and advise.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

DH: Is there any potential for this problem to be caused by the main relay?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM

If it's not the main relay I'd be guessing it's the electronic part of the ignition switch itself

Quick Reply: Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.