General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Default RE: Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.

I did reset the ecu and have not seen any symptoms or the code 15 return. Looks like all is good for the time being.

------------------------------------------
1995 Accord EX

Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM

Very good.

I always like to read the end of a good mystery, so thanks for the update.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:13 PM

We haven't had another occurance of the problem since my first post on this thread, but when I saw a post today about a remote starter, it suddently hit me that we have a remote starter that we got installed about 10 years ago. It's a Viper something-or-other.

Today I tested it for the winter and it still works just fine, but it dawned on me that when you use it to start the car,of course the engine starts and you let it run for however long you want to let the engine warm up. Then when you get in the car, if you don't put the key in the ignition and turn it to the correct position, when you touch the brake to move the gear selector into drive, the car will instantly stall - just like it did that day when my wife tried to start it for the third time. (No, we did not use the remote starter that day.)

Therefore, I'm wondering if a malfunctioning remote starter could cause the problems we had that day. I can't help but think that it could be an important additionalvariable inthe start / no-start equation.

Other than how to operate them, I am completely ignorant of how a remote starter works and, more importantly, how they fail. So, how do remote starters typically fail - do they just stop working, or can they cause starting problems, stalling, etc.?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 PM

They can cause all sorts of random issues depending on what goes out on them, just like if you've ever had a home computer fail

Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
taurusga
Unregistered

what was the fix?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: taurusga

what was the fix?
After that incident I reported in my first post, we have not had any starting problem again. Almost unbelievable.

(But I'm ready when it does pop up again. Abrand new distributor sits on a shelf in our garage, patiently waiting for the problem to re-appear.)

Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
andycoat
Unregistered

I've experienced similar problems with my '98 LX five-speed.

About once amonth (but with increasing frequency lately) it just stopsrunning while driving down the road.The engine does not sputter-- it just stops. Right after the enginestops, while I am rolling down the road, the dashboard lights flash anda ticking soundcomes from the dash in rhythm with the flashing lights.The greenkey lightstays on after the entire dash lightsstop flashing. Thedash lights flashfor just a few seconds.After sitting in the car for about a minute I start itup and most of the time is stays running just fine, but more recently it has stopped right after startingand more starts are necessary to get itrunning again.

I told my Honda mechanic about this, and he said he could not diagnose it without the problem occurring in his presence.

Any recommendations other than what has been posted thus far?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: andycoat

About once amonth (but with increasing frequency lately) it just stopsrunning while driving down the road.The engine does not sputter-- it just stops. Right after the enginestops, while I am rolling down the road, the dashboard lights flash anda ticking soundcomes from the dash in rhythm with the flashing lights.The greenkey lightstays on after the entire dash lightsstop flashing. Thedash lights flashfor just a few seconds.After sitting in the car for about a minute I start itup and most of the time is stays running just fine, but more recently it has stopped right after startingand more starts are necessary to get itrunning again.

I told my Honda mechanic about this, and he said he could not diagnose it without the problem occurring in his presence.

Ticking sound is likely the MFR cutting on/off. Most likely an intermittent MFR, particularly if the Alt and CEL lights stayed on when car went dead.

good luck

Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
andycoat
Unregistered

Problem solved: the ignition switch, a previously replaced recall item!

My dealer service advisorquickly checked his recall sheet and discovered that I previously had the ignition switch replaced some time ago as a recall item. Then he slightly turned the key in the ignition, duplicatingthe flickering and clicking that I experienced when it stopped running.He viewed this as confirmation that theproblemwas the ignition switch. he replaced it at no cost and I have had no problems since.

Such a heart-warming story, huh?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
andycoat
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: andycoat

Problem solved: the ignition switch, a previously replaced recall item!

My dealer service advisorquickly checked his recall sheet and discovered that I previously had the ignition switch replaced some time ago as a recall item. Then he slightly turned the key in the ignition, duplicatingthe flickering and clicking that I experienced when it stopped running.He viewed this as confirmation that theproblemwas the ignition switch. he replaced it at no cost and I have had no problems since.

Such a heart-warming story, huh?

Quick Reply: Start, quit, start, quit, start, run.