General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

started with a roar that still remains

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Default started with a roar that still remains

hey, newto the board.... anywho.... i have a '90 honda accordand id like to tell of my problems with it..i noticed a roar sounded like the right front, the cv axels needed replacing, so i thought perhaps when i replace the cv axels, the roar would stop. the clicking did, but the roar remained....the roar im referring to is this.... when i turn the wheel to the right, the further i turn it, the louder the roar... then as i straighten up, the roar diminishes slowly till its exactly straight again.... i thought a wheel bearing...so i got one for the right front...took it to my mechanic, he tore into it, and said the bearing was ok...so, he went to he right back and turned the wheel, it wasnt a real smooth turn like the others, its like it would turn freely halfway around, the bind a little, but still could turn it...so.... i returned the front bearing and got the rear one... he replaced it, and it still makes that roar.... could it be the tires causing it? ive heard tires roar before, but never this bad... it vibrates the car..... one last thing to add.... when he took the left rear wheel off, then the drum....once he reached the bearing, one side came off as if it were a washer, but i think it was part of the outer bearing.... now that the old one is off, i can take it and turn it freely, all the bearings look good, and wasnt dry of grease.... so... what does this sound like? bad bearing?.... bad tire? or, maybe something else?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the front bearing to me. Especially that it is making a rumbling sound that changes sound when you turn.

You can rotate the tires to see if the noise changes location to rule out or verify a bad tire.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Sounds like the front bearing to me. Especially that it is making a rumbling sound that changes sound when you turn.

You can rotate the tires to see if the noise changes location to rule out or verify a bad tire.

thats also what i thought....mechanic says it wasnt, and he tore it down to the bearing, i was right there...the wheel turns freely, first thing i checked.

as far as rotation, i took the front right off, then the back right off and rotated, but it drives exactly the same, and rides the same with the same results.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

An easy check for a bad front wheel bearing: Put the front of the car up securely on jack stands. Have someone get inside the car, start it, and put it in gear. One or both of the wheels will spin. Use a very long screwdriver or whatever long piece of metal held against both your ear and various (non-moving) parts of the car near the front wheel bearing. The noise from a bad bearing will be obvious.

If only one wheel spins, to get the other wheel spinning position a floor jack underneath and perpendicular to the spinning wheel to stop it.

When you turn right the noise gets worse...and you're loading the left wheel bearing. Perhaps the left bearing is bad and only gets noisy when it's loaded.