General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check engine light remains lit during test

Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Default Check engine light remains lit during test

Im working on a 93 accord EX, 4 cyl. I test drove it to see if I could get the check engine light to come on again and it did when as I merged onto the expressway. Also, just before the light came on the engine stumbled, sort of like, "blup-blup-blup-blup-blup-blup" and would not change to a higher gear and the speedometer was going haywire; It showed me doing 75 mph when the car was struggling to do 45. I took it back home and with the ignition off, shorted a paper cip to the blue 2 pin connector (under pass. dash in front of pass. door, front), turned on ignition and the CEL light stayed on and would not blink at all while the paper clip was inserted. Can I drive the car with the paper clip instaled to see if the CEL will flash the code when It actually happens?

Thanks,

Hondalover

Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Better yet, make the CEL come on again, then don't shut off the engine. Insert the paperclip while the engine's idling.

Just an outside chance, if your backup fuse is blown, your ECU will clear it's codes whenever you turn off the key.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Ok, what I did was swap out the A/T control unit under the carpet of the passenger footwell (I got a spare from the junkyard because I knew I would need it one day) and drove the car. I don't have a CEL anymore but the speedometer is still erratic. So while driving I activated the cruise control and it worked which leads me to believe the vehicle speed sensor is working. Now, the trip odometer is working properly but the speed pointer on the speedometer gauge rapidly climbs or drops giving me an incorrect indication of my actual speed. Any ideas?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Cruise control works and holds a steady speed while the speedometer jumps up & down? If so that sounds like a flaky gauge cluster. Look for loose wiring harness connections at the gauge, before buying a new speedometer.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Ok, I swapped out the speedometer and it shows the correct speed now. I did so because as I mentioned in my earlier post, the trip odometer and the cruise control were working properly, which led me away from the vehicle speed sensor being bad.

Thank you all for your help,

Hondalover