General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Starting problem

I'm new to the forum and a new used honda accord owner. I recently purchased a 1990 accord ex 4dr sedan, I put new plugs and wires in it. I have noticed that once in a while the car cranks but it takes while to start, other times it starts right away. After reading some articles on this forum I removed the boush plugs and replaced them with NGK plugs yesterday. Noticed the same thing occurred today. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I don't want to get stranded. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Starting problem

Will it turn over at all? That's a 17 year old car, has the fuel pump ever been replaced? If not, that could be the issue.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the response, Finch. I'm not sure if the pump has been replaced. Yes the car starts almost everytime......just acts up about 1 in every 10 or so starts. I've only had the car for about 2 weeks.Normally it starts on the first crank, but when it acts up it may take up to 10 cranks before she starts and then sometimes the idle is alittle rough, as in low like it wants to stall but it never has.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

You need to diagnose the problem before blindly wasting money on a new fuel pump.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and verify that the pressure is adequate. At the same time you can test the fuel pressure regulator. You can pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator and the strong smell of gas would indicate the diaphram is ruptured. Replacing the fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea, because it is a maintenance problem.

Ignition problems can also cause a no start.

You took care of the spark plugs (cheap fix). Inspect the wires by spraying a light mist of water on them while the engine is running (you should do this when it is dark out). If you see arcing, replace the wires. Check the distributor cap and rotor for damage or replace those two items.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, I'll try checking the fuel pressure asap. I have already replaced the spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Do you know what the pressure on the gauge should show? Thank you.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the specs, but you can go to our DIY section and find the link to download shop manuals from hondahookup.com.

A Haynes manual will definitely have that type of info and isn't a bad first source to get info for basic tests.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM

I believe it's around 32 PSI for 94-97. Not sure about the older Accords.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Could be the battery. My car had a little trouble starting and it hasnt since i got my battery recharge, and the plugs at the poles replaced.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM

does this happen more so during the heat of the day ?? car starts ok mornings and evenings??
main relay ? ...
when car does not start you need to chk if engine is getting fuel
go to our DIY section there are write ups on how to diagnose

Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Stopped in a local honda dealer today and spoke with a mechanic about my problem.......so Iput a new main relay in the car today, will give it a day or two and see what happens. Hopefully that's the problem, thanks for the help everyone, I'll let you all know what happens soon.

Quick Reply: Starting problem