General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Starting problem

I would change the fuel filter. You can do it yourself and it's only about $20. It's probably time for a fuel filter replacement anyway

Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM

And he beats me to it..... I was going to say you may as well change the fuel filter while you're at it... cheap/easy repair that needs to be done once in a while anyway...

Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Smitty263

Thanks for the response, Finch. I'm not sure if the pump has been replaced. Yes the car starts almost everytime......just acts up about 1 in every 10 or so starts. I've only had the car for about 2 weeks.Normally it starts on the first crank, but when it acts up it may take up to 10 cranks before she starts and then sometimes the idle is alittle rough, as in low like it wants to stall but it never has.
1 out of 10 - Is it cold or hot or either when she won't start? Are you giving gas at startup. It sounds like a sensor to me (which one?) or a weak battery/starter.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:13 PM

A partially clogged fuel filter could cause the same thing

Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK....update and problem. First I replaced the main relay on Saturday and all seems to be well on that end, car has been starting everytime I try...Knock on wood.Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter just for peace of mind, now the problem..... after puuting the fuel filter on I drove the car a few miles and now the engine check light is on( wasn't on before changing filter), code 43, fuel system is the reading I'm getting........could it just need resetting due to changing the filter or should I look elsewhere. Thank you.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

I would try resetting the ECU. The computer could have"learned" with the partially clogged filter and now needs to "re-learn" how the car should run. Pull the backup/radio fuse for 15 seconds or so. Or disconnect the battery for 30 seconds or so. I usually do both just cause I'm under the hood anyway and don't feel like wasting my timein caseone methoddidn't work.
Once you do this, let the car idle till it gets to operating temp. Do not give it any gas. Let it idle on it's own till it is fully warmed up so it can "re-learn." Let us know whether or not that takes away the CEL.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I reset the ECU, let it idle for about 25 min, then drove it about 35 miles today and so fsr so good. I give an update soon. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM

How much do relays run for? May change mine, since im having starting problems too, but i think its my battery. But if i relay isnt much i may replace tht.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Bought mine at the dealer for about $70.00. Talked to a mechanic while I was there, he said that he usually fixes them by soildering them to make them stronger, however I'm not sure how to do this so I spent the money and put it in myself.......somewhat of a pain in the butt due to a tight area to work in under the dash, took about 45 min. or so.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Dazed

How much do relays run for? May change mine, since im having starting problems too, but i think its my battery. But if i relay isnt much i may replace tht.
main relay and battery is like apples and oranges .. 2 totally different simptoms on why car does not start..

bad battery engine will not crank over

bad relay engine will crank but it won't start
so diagnose the issue before you waste your money pn unneeded parts

Quick Reply: Starting problem