General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starts when it feels like it

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default starts when it feels like it

my 91 accord has issues starting first thing in the mourning and after work so for sitting about 8 hours. i checked for spark with an in line light and there is spark. i checked for fuel and i have fuel. i realized it will crank and sometimes start after the engine light comes on. sometimes it the light doesnt come on and it will start but want to shut off. i am thinking that it is something with a sensor of course since the engine light sometimes comes on. the light isnt always on so i cant do a code check. i unpluged all the electrical connections under the hood and cleaned then with electric spray. what sensor will stop the car from starting? this has been on going for like 3 months.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

When you initially turn the key to the II position before you attempt to start, the check engine light should come on for a couple of seconds then turn off.

During that time you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime for ~2 seconds in the middle of the clicks from the main relay. Listen carefully, because the fuel makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound originating from the back seat area.

If the check engine light comes on, the engine computer detected a problem and will store the code. Even if the CEL turns off, the computer will store the code. You should short the service connector and read the error codes then post them on here. You can download a 91 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. Page 6-148 shows how to retrieve codes from the ECU.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have replaced the main fuel relay up under the dash and all is good with the clicks and getting fuel. i thought that woulda fixed my problem as well, but no luck. at least i know i have a new relay. i also went through the steps with shorting the plug and i have no blinks from the engine light. i just looked in my manual and it DOES say the codes will be stored in memory until the back up fuse is pulled. i am lost without being able to read the codes. my only thought is i might not be shorting out the right plug. is the diagnosis plug just hanging free or do i have to unplug it from something? the manual doesnt make that clear. also does anybody know what color the wires are in this diagnosis plug? i am going to look at it again right now.

Last edited by oneroom42; 07-29-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Diagnostic plug is a two-wire blue plug and it may be plugged into a dummy plastic connector/holder that is pinned under the glovebox. Pinch the male end connector and it will release from the holder. Any convenient wire provides a jumper to short the two female pins of the connector.

good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no wonder!! hope i didnt short anything out by doing it to the wrong plug. i really need to tear things apart cause i didnt see any blue plug with 2 wires under the glove box and behind the kick panel. i really need to fix this thing. i have alot of money into beer working on this. thanks for the help, i will keep updating.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

found it! it was behind some blue tape. ok i got #1- O2 sensor, #4- crank angle sensor, and #41- O2 sensor heater. oh boy crank sensor...this doesnt sound good. well now i have a direction to go in. any ideas??

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Code 1 is probably a bad O2 sensor. Check O2 sensor wiring and connector for damage. If OK, reset ECU, warm engine and drive for 5 mins. Check if code 1 (and others) return. If it returns, replace O2 sensor (check ebay for low cost replacements).

Code 4 is a crank angle sensor (in distributor) fault. Again check wiring to distributor and distributor connector. If OK, disconnect the distributor connector and check resistance between B-F pins of connector. You will need to download the 91 Accord manual from Online Manuals links of DIY forum for guidance on which pins to check. Resistance should measure 350-700 ohms. If open or shorted, sensor is bad. No replacement part is available. Best repair is a used distributor. Check car-part.com for a part near your zip code and check ebay. I wouldn't pay more than $75.

Code 41 is O2 sensor heater. I wouldn't worry about this unless Code 1 does not return. If it doesn't return, you can check heater element of O2 sensor for resistance. If open or shorted, O2 sensor should be replaced.

Is the engine starting now?

good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

hey tex thanks a bunch! i will look into everything and replace what is needed. the car does start now but it cranks forever when it sits more than about 5 hours. i didnt think the dist. would be bad since i replaced it but now that i think about it...i did it on 2004, so i guess its due for a new one. i'd say about 50k ago.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i replaced the distributer and she fired right up. as im driving down the road the check engine light came on again. this time its code #43??? in the manual there is no code 43. now what?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM

There is a code 43 in my 90 Accord manual, and should be same for 91 Accord.

Code 43 usually means faulty O2 sensor, but there are other possibilties to investigate. See manual. Try a download if you're using a Haynes, etc.

good luck