Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine/Transmission Problem??? 1st to 2nd Gear Feels Like The Clutch Just Dropped

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Exclamation Engine/Transmission Problem??? 1st to 2nd Gear Feels Like The Clutch Just Dropped

Hi, so I test drove a 99 Accord Coupe EX with 103k the other day & would like some opinion on this.

So my main worry about this car is when you punch the gas from 1st to 2nd gear it sounded & felt like something Dropped/Jumped/Clunked, but the rest of the gears rides smoothly so it was only from 1st to 2nd...(btw it's an automatic)
Is this a normal thing for & old Honda??? or What do you think it is???

- The guy told me he was from Chicago where it snowed so there a lil bit of rust on the engine & a lil rust spot on the side of the car. (haven't checked under the car yet, but a lil bit worry there might be rust underneath too)

- There's a lil dent on the back right side fender (That probably could be popped out from the trunk)

- With 103k he said he hasn't done anything to the Timing Belt or Transmission Fluid (So maybe if the Transmission Fluid was changed the Clunked from 1st to 2nd Gear would go away???)

Anyway other than that he wants $4500 for the car, but i'm only gonna offer him $4000...Should I get this car???

Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The transmission can be a very costly or a simple repair...It really is a crapshoot, and you could get in way over your head. You might consider replacing the engine mounts as they are known to cause the clunk/lurching/jumping you are feeling. Any car from areas that use salt on the snowy roads is at risk for serious corrosion issues in the fenders, floorpan and fuel tank areas. Since the rust is already started, it needs to be removed and repaired soon. Timing belt and water pump replacement is overdue and can cost $600+ at the shop. Personally, I feel there are some serious maintennance/repair costs involved with buying this particular car. That said, I would pass on this car and look for one without the issues you describe.

Last edited by bigpat; 08-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigpat
The transmission can be a very costly or a simple repair...It really is a crapshoot, and you could get in way over your head. You might consider replacing the engine mounts as they are known to cause the clunk/lurching/jumping you are feeling. Any car from areas that use salt on the snowy roads is at risk for serious corrosion issues in the fenders, floorpan and fuel tank areas. Since the rust is already started, it needs to be removed and repaired soon. Timing belt and water pump replacement is overdue and can cost $600+ at the shop. Personally, I feel there are some serious maintennance/repair costs involved with buying this particular car. That said, I would pass on this car and look for one without the issues you describe.
Thanks for the heads up & advice, appreciate it... & yeah I tried looking into the 1st to 2nd gear Jerks and found out that the 99-00 had a common issues with the Transmission, but only the 00's was recalled even though both year were pretty much the same engine...& Again Thanks BigPat

Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM

I bet you that the transmission mount(s) might be no good too, but their cheap enough though. I couldn't even get $4k for my car even my motor only has 20k miles :-(