General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.

  #1  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 52
Default Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.

Sometimes when I stop at a stop sign, with car in neutral, and I try to shift into 1st gear it is as if it's blocked, so sometimes I have to force the stick shift into 1st gear.

I have also noticed that sometime while driving, when from first to second, I almost grind gears (usually it's doesn't require me to try and force it into 2nd) because I am not able to easily shift into 2nd gear.

I hear a what might be called a "clunk" sound when I push in the clutch pedal and I think it hear it when I shift into the low gears. Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level? Have you ever had this problem?

Also, is there a grease zerk for the base of the stick shift that needs to be greased every so many thousand miles?

___________________________________
1990 Honda Accord DX, 2.2 L, Manual
 
  #2  
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 822
Default

sounds like dragging clutch. This will show up the most going into R, which is not synchrmesh.

had a old old Triumph that had a dragging clutch. pulled out tranny and clutch had been contaminated with oil leaks.
I've not heard of something like this w/ modern cars though.

Think more likely cause is in hydraulic clutch mechaism: air bubble, leaking cylinder or insufficient fluid.

obvious question: have you tried pushing clutch all-the-way-down extra far?
 
  #3  
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 822
Default

Originally Posted by letsclique View Post
Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level?
___________________________________
1990 Honda Accord DX, 2.2 L, Manual
Routine maintenance-wise: I change my MT fluid every 30K miles, drain/fill no filter involved.
 
  #4  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 52
Default

Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
sounds like dragging clutch. This will show up the most going into R, which is not synchrmesh.

had a old old Triumph that had a dragging clutch. pulled out tranny and clutch had been contaminated with oil leaks.
I've not heard of something like this w/ modern cars though.

Think more likely cause is in hydraulic clutch mechaism: air bubble, leaking cylinder or insufficient fluid.

obvious question: have you tried pushing clutch all-the-way-down extra far?
I usually push clutch in almost all the way, but don't know if I have pushed it all the way down. Why?
 
  #5  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 52
Default

I hate sometimes when I try to start off from a complete stop and I will let the clutch out wrong to where I can hear it make a sound like rubber rubbing from I am guessing the clutch plate or part of the clutch whatchamacallit. I try to let the clutch slowly so I slowly and smoothly start to move without possibly waking up people (I deliver the newspaper early in the morning..ugh!). Also, when I down shift into second sometime, maybe at around 20 or so MPH, I feel something shaking. But other times when I down shift at around the same speed I noticed the speed decrease but no shaking.
 

Last edited by letsclique; 07-05-2012 at 08:11 AM.
  #6  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 52
Default

Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Routine maintenance-wise: I change my MT fluid every 30K miles, drain/fill no filter involved.
Do you use a turkey baster to fill the MT, or is there something else that makes it easier to fill? I think that's what it says to use in my Haynes manual.
 
  #7  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM
poorman212's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Youngsville, NC
Posts: 11,819
Default

Or a hose on the end of a funnel? Many creative ways of doing this
 
  #8  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 822
Default

also Harbor Freight Tools sells a small hand pump for fluids (<$10) that looks like it should work well
for filling from below especially. I might get one for next time.
 
  #9  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 822
Default

Originally Posted by letsclique View Post
I hate sometimes when I try to start off from a complete stop and I will let the clutch out wrong to where I can hear it make a sound like rubber rubbing ...
find a neighborhood old guy, who has driven MT since day one, and get him to ride w/ you.
then let him drive it a few miles to include many stops.
see what he says and observe his 'clutch, shifting technique' also.
$.02
 
  #10  
Old 06-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Default 2007 Accord hard shift solution

I had the same problem. I first adjusted the clutch petal, which resolved the issue for awhile, but it returned. I finally figured out the issue when the clutch petal bracket completely broke. It had been slowly tearing out a spot weld preventing the clutch from completely disengaging. See the attached pictures of the clutch bracket.

-------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by letsclique View Post
Sometimes when I stop at a stop sign, with car in neutral, and I try to shift into 1st gear it is as if it's blocked, so sometimes I have to force the stick shift into 1st gear.

I have also noticed that sometime while driving, when from first to second, I almost grind gears (usually it's doesn't require me to try and force it into 2nd) because I am not able to easily shift into 2nd gear.

I hear a what might be called a "clunk" sound when I push in the clutch pedal and I think it hear it when I shift into the low gears. Do you think I should check my manual transmission fluid level? Have you ever had this problem?

Also, is there a grease zerk for the base of the stick shift that needs to be greased every so many thousand miles?

___________________________________
1990 Honda Accord DX, 2.2 L, Manual
 
Attached Thumbnails Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.-accordclutch1a.jpg   Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.-accordclutch2a.jpg  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cukaracha
General Tech Help
9
07-19-2015 01:28 PM
gigem891
General Tech Help
4
04-04-2014 08:46 PM
Rilex
General Tech Help
2
09-29-2013 08:43 AM
SirJohnIII
General Tech Help
9
12-12-2012 03:30 PM
94LxAccordCoupe
General Tech Help
4
11-04-2011 07:38 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard to shift into 1st gear and 2nd gear sometimes.


Advertising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.