General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

steering fluid

Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
nashe74
Unregistered
Default steering fluid

hi ive got a 2004 accord 2.2 cdti tourerand for the last few weeks the fluid is dropping had a look round pump seems ok had a little look underneath cant see where it is coming from do i need to replace the rack???or can i get away with some power steering stop leak also noticed the tracking is out as well also if it is the rack is there any good places in the uk south east where i can get a replacement???

many thanks and looks a great forum

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: steering fluid

I would try a bottle of Lucas PS Stop Leak. I've had some positive experience w/ this product, and it's worth a try, if the leak is from the PS rack assy.

I haven't bought many auto parts in SE. England lately. Hopefully, someone else can help.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

If youre losing fluid but cant see where its going, here one possibility for you to check out. The big bellows on each end of the rack are NOT supposed to be filled with fluid - just air in there. The hydraulics can leak into that space, & fill with a bunch of fluid, before it actually starts to leak OUT.

Stop-leak stuff works by making rubber seals swell up. Often that works. Butif the REAL problem is a rough corroded surface where the seal slides, it wont help.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM

good info. ill try out PS stop leak to see if it works on my 94EX. TexasHonda and JimBlake maybe you guys could give me your input. my power steering started losing fluid after i got into a minor front end accident on the driver side headlight. the hose coming from ps reservoir actually got pushed into one of the belts, ps belt it was i think. which slit a hole into the hose and out came ps fluid. so there was a couple days that i was driving around wit no ps. i bought a hose from the junkyard, replaced it, refilled the fluid. all was back to normal but level seems to dip below LOW every month or so maybe. and i dont recall it leaking before the accident. any opinions or thoughts?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

PS has to be leaking externally (even the bellows is an external leak), and you should be able to find the leak w/ a dedicated search.

good luck