General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering/suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Default steering/suspension issues

so my 97 lx, has a suspension issue. it loks like the previous owner tried to do a diy job on the front end, at first i thought that they cut the springs but after looking at them it looks like they installed lowering springs.

when i drive the car it will go nice and straight, under load it will drift to the right, its missing the bolt on the passenger side closest to the fender, also when i go over a bump, and sometimes when i hit the brakes i hear a sort of grinding sound coming from the drivers front tire, its deff. coming from the suspension, besides that there is little clunks and clanks here and there all coming from the suspension...
one more thing, the inner tires are wearing faster than outer, and evenly...

so do you think there are loose bolts, if so where are the best possibilities for the culprit, also can the drift to the right be caused by the missing bolt, what should i inspect???

i have done lots of mechanic work, just not to suspension

Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

The stabilizer bar bushings and endlinks can cause noises going over bumps. Those are a pretty easy DIY fix.

For worn suspension components, I would put the front of the car on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until it locks. Grab the tire and try to push/pull at the 12/6 o'clock position (upper/lower ball joint). Also try 3/9 o'clock (tie-rods).

There should be very little movement. If you have movement or hear a noise, try to locate the problem.

Also, look at the bushings on the lower control arm where the bolt holding the wishbone goes through. Also look at the other one. If they are obviously torn those could be making your noise.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM

yea, i was planning on checking out the inner/outer rods, upper ball joints etc. soon, i just sold my old car and my jack was in it ive replaced steering components in the past just not sure of the suspension

Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Replacing the shocks/springs is simple as long you don't have any bolts rusted in place.

The tough part is compressing the springs, because that is somewhat dangerous.

I have a set of shocks/springs for sale that I was going to put on my 95 EX, before I sold it. If interested, google 2421723385 That is my add on Craigslist.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM

yea ill check it out, the struts and springs seem in good condition firm with a nice ride, a bit stiff from the extra compression with the lowered springs but this is normal, and not rusted at all no peeling paint etc, but the bolts are a bit rusted. it seems as if the the suspension is loose or not put back on correctly, im gonna pick up a new hyd. jack and stands in a day or two, and find out whats realy happening under there