General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sticky Shifter

Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Default Sticky Shifter

Hi, I posted previously about my 92 Accord having trouble getting the shifter into first or second.

Honda replaced clutch parts (master, slave ?) and replaced the fluid. The shifting is much better, but wonder if it is as good as it should be.

What I mean is Jim had mentioned clutch drag. I wonder if I am encountering this. When I first start the car with my foot on the clutch, it sounds quiet... then when I remove the clutch to let the car idle you can hear a drag or scrap sound. After some driving, I no longer notice this sound.

When shifting now, the car seems to clunk into gear. Not smooth. Should it be silky smooth or is a little resistance normal? Having been my first and only standard, I am not sure what to expect with the shifting.

Also Jim mentioned that if it is clutch drag, it is fairly easy to resolve. Can you tell me how I would do that, or what I would explain to Honda? Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Default RE: Sticky Shifter

I apologize, Jim answered me on a previous post. Sorry to post again... please delete if you wish (I don't think I can).

Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: eckhart

Honda replaced clutch parts (master, slave ?) and replaced the fluid...
Did they replace the fluid inside the tranny or just the hydraulic fluid in the master/slave?

ORIGINAL: eckhart

Also Jim mentioned that if it is clutch drag, it is fairly easy to resolve. Can you tell me how I would do that, or what I would explain to Honda? Thanks!
If the clutch is actually dragging, it's easy in concept - just replace the clutch. That requires removing the tranny from the car, so whichdoesn't make it 'EASY'.

I'll go back to look atthat other thread now...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Yeah, they indicated they replaced the transmission fluid. I would assume and hope they used Honda fluid, this is why I only take the Honda's to Honda. I have found that any other garage I take it to does not really KNOW what to do with these cars...

Since it is a 92, and it does shift now without any major issue, I do not think I will worry too much. I appreciate your help and advice. I do not want to spend a lot of $$$ having the tranny removed, etc. If it blows up, I may just have the motivation to get an Acura or newer Accord.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM

noise when you release the clutch pedal is the input shaft bearing. usually they don't come apart too bad, but i've had them destroy a few trannys when very bad.