General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having 93 Accord issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Still having 93 Accord issues

Ok i've always either had an OBDII or a simple no electronic carb vehicle, I've spent alot of time researching the problem with this Honda, it sometimes starts sometimes just barely turns over, after the research I ohmed the 2 black wires coming off the 02 sensor and it showed 0 but I did it with the initial setting at 20ohm's. then I found the service connector and jumped that and turned on the ignition, looked at the instument panel and no light flashed, I reversed the order and still nothing. This car is begining to frustrate me but I am learning alot of trouble shooting tips from it. I'm sure it's somthing stpid but this thing really needs to be up and running soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
and yes againI researched this for over an hour on here, thats how I came up with ohming the 02 sensor

Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

To add a little history, bought with blown hed gasket and car ran fine just got hot, replaced head gasket, forgot to install new spark plug O rings, spark plug tubes filled with oil, removed valve cover installed new seals, replaced plugs, gapped at .44, new cap and wires. Ran car at idle for 10-20 minutes, touch the gas it dies, lots of oil was burned out of the cylinders as I could extract all the oil before removing the plugs, what did I mess up, been chasing this thing for 2 days now.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, tried it tonight, with the key already on I put in the jumper the ABS light was already on at this point, jump the connector CEL came on and stayed on and ABS light went off no flashes at all, and it was constant, jumper in ABS off, and CEl on, jumper out, ABS on and CEL off.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok seems i'm answering my own questions here, went back down to check the car again, unplugged the battery to rest the CEL, unpluged the coil (for testing purposes) tried to start car and then jumped the service and got a code 15. So reset the computer again, unplugged the 02 sensor and got the same steady CEL, reset computer and plugged 02 in, same code no difference, so even though it never "flashed" am I right to assume it's a bad 02 sensor? also tried ohming out the 2 black wires coming from the sensor and that resulted in 0 ohms again

Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Resistance between those 2 wires should be 10 to 40 ohms, so the sensor's preheater is burned out.

I think people don't cruise the DIY board as much as the general-tech section. Better chance for help over there.

Code 15 is 'ignition output signal'. That's the circuit where the ECU tells the ignitor to fire the coil. Loose flaky connections in the wiring harness to the distributor?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake

Code 15 is 'ignition output signal'. That's the circuit where the ECU tells the ignitor to fire the coil. Loose flaky connections in the wiring harness to the distributor?
I know I unplugged the harness just to make sure I was able to get the right code, the 02 sensor preheaterbeing burned out would that cause start up problems, and running issues?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Not starting per-se, but shortly after. The preheater will heat up that sensor so it starts working pretty quick, well within a minute I'm sure. Without the preheater it probably will not become active before a couple minutes.

Another thought I didn't write down is whether you recognize the difference between code 15 vs. code 1 & code 5... Short pause vs. long pause between digits.