General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having Electrical Issues with 2006 Accord V6 EXL

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Default Having Electrical Issues with 2006 Accord V6 EXL

During a simple drive my car will seem to conk out, but regain power instantly. However, the mileage for an oil change reminder will reset, the radio will need my access code to turn it on, etc.

I just checked the battery terminals and they seem mostly ok. It is a newer, dealer installed Honda battery, but looks like a small amt of corrosion is there. I took a hammer to it just now and knocked the terminals as to move them slightly and shake off any corrosion debris.

I should also add that I have 82k miles and have never had the timing service done. Could this be the issue?

Should this not take care of it, any other things I should try?

Thanks,
Atl

Last edited by Atl golfer; 02-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like 2 possibilities.

1 Electrical connection for battery
Only because you mentioned the battery cables. Loosen the clamp, remove the negative cable then the positive cable. With the cables removed, follow the (+) cable and check that other end for being loose/dirty/corroded, and fix what you find. Same thing for negative cable. Clean & put the cables back on the battery. Don't use a hammer, because it can cause the battery to leak where the plastic is molded around the metal posts.

2 Ignition switch
Flaky ignition switches are not uncommon. If you can make it happen by wiggling the key, that clinches it. But if you can't make it happen by wiggling the key, that DOES NOT mean the switch is good.

The oil change reminder is the confusing part. Even disconnecting the battery should not reset the oil life calculation. I don't understand what can mess up the maintenance-minder.

Timing service?? Do you mean replacing the timing belt? That won't do it. If the belt breaks or skips time, it's NOT a momentary thing. It's bad damage and it doesn't snap back to being OK.