General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise coming from climate control!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Strange noise coming from climate control!

Hi all,

I recently noticed what I would call a 'groaning' noise coming from under the dash, or in the vents, when I adjust the climate control. I'm not sure if this is a normal noise and I just started noticing it or if this is the early signs of something failing?
I have a video but I am not sure how to upload it here, I can post a link to my dropbox if that will help...

Steps to get noise:
1- turn car and air **** off
2- turn the temperature dial
3- hear the groaning noise!

Thanks

Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Auto Temp Control in many vehicles suffer from failure of the blend control motor. Unusual noises groaning, clicking, grinding are noted along w/ failure to control temp correctly. If you look under dash, locate the blend control motor and feel noise from the actuator, you've confirmed the problem. Usually relatively easy to replace, but an expensive part ($75-$125).

good luck

Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Auto Temp Control in many vehicles suffer from failure of the blend control motor. Unusual noises groaning, clicking, grinding are noted along w/ failure to control temp correctly. If you look under dash, locate the blend control motor and feel noise from the actuator, you've confirmed the problem. Usually relatively easy to replace, but an expensive part ($75-$125).

good luck
Thanks! I am replacing a window regulator this afternoon and will check out the blend control motor as well. I was in the car all day yesterday, trying various heat/air settings and everything (vents,heat,cold,all fan speeds) appeared to work.

Is this an early indicator of a failing Blend Control Motor? If so, is there any preventative maintenance I should do to the motor or is it just a use it until it quits type of part?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

TexasHonda, thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the blend control motor! I was able to do a bit of preventative maintenance to hopefully avoid buying the new motor.

I crawled under the drivers dash and watched the white plastic tracks that attach to the blend motor move. They seemed to hang in a few spots, so I put a bit of Shin-Etsu lubricant on that track and it works great now! No more of the groaning noise and I can see it moving more easily.

I'm not sure if this is the recommended lubricant for that area but the dealer gave me some in a ziplock for my window run channel and I only had a bit left so I figured I may as well give it a shot.