General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord climate control noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Default 2000 accord climate control noise

Hey guys...back again!! 1st to thank all for the help on my random misfire thread. So far that issue hasn't reappeared.
Now on to another issue. This one is a noise coming from under dash and is associated with the temp control. My car has the auto climate control, and when adjusting temp, I can here a small motor funtioning and temp responds accordingly. But it continues making a clicking noise if left in between very hot or very cold. Sometimes I can move it a little and it will stop, sometimes not!
Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Video shows the component that is likely source of noise and possible fix. Looking at location (behind ac/heater control panel), removing the control panel for access may be a challenge.

Fixing this part is tricky as described in video. I tried and had to give up when I dropped and lost worm gear

good luck

Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanks Honda, that looked pretty intimidating and not sure what sound he was referring to it making before his operation. I watched several more videos and found one that showed a guy having a faulty one, he replaced it with a used one and when he energized it the servo was kind of jumping. He had no idea why but it worked (same as mine). I think I have this same problem. Here is a link to his video:

Any idea what would cause this? Or could this be associated with the loose worm gear as in the video you posted?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The cause is contamination of the contact grease on the wipers. This contamination provides false position info to controller which trys to correct. Sound can be a rattle where the motor is hunting back/forth over short distance, or sharp click where motor makes a large adjustment.

Fix is to clean and replace grease w/ fresh grease.

Honda shop manual has pics of the part location and describes replacement as remove screws and linkage. That is what I did, but access can be challenging. Your Accord appears to have the air mix motor direclty behind the AC/Heater control unit.

good luck

Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Nevermind...after doing some more searching online, I came to a thread where they showed video of close to same and you answered them with replace or clean. Gonna live with mine for now, thanks Honda!!!!