General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Problem: Left Turn Noise and Water in the Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 AM
VZ2
Unregistered
Default Strange Problem: Left Turn Noise and Water in the Cabin

Hello,

I need the help from better car experts than I am

I got a strange problem with our 2004 Accord V6 (38,000 km).
We are having hot weather now (32C). Yesterday my wife told me that the car developed some continuous scratching noise during the left turns, from the right side under the hood.

I initially (remotely) suspected that some part (plastic cover, etc.) got loose, and the wheel is touching it when turning.

After inspecting the car, I found no traces of wheel contacting the body. The noise was definitely there, and while turning to the left only! Going straight or turning right was OK.

Shortly thereafter, I found that the water (I assume it was the water - no smell, no color) is leaking from under the right side of the dash to the front passenger floor. After a half-an-hour ride the water was all over the rug.

When I turned AC off, the left-turn noise and water-dripping continued. After I completely shut the whole HVAC system, all stopped! No noise, no water in the cabin. I assumed that some mechanical part movement during the left turn may cause the contact of something with something, and the subsequent problem with water.

So I went to the dealership today. First, they said they never heard about such left vs. right-side oriented problem with AC (they suggested it's AC).

Then they checked something and told me they found the problem - the AC drain plug was clogged with leaves etc., and that caused the noise and the leakage into the cabin. I asked why it's only while turning to the left - the service advisor told me something like "the water inside whirls to the left, so it splashes out while left-turning". Of course, it was not a good explanation, but I decided that the main thing for me to get the thing fixed, so didn't ask more questions. They suggested that they "clean out AC overflow drain tube" (as in the invoice), and also replace AC dust and pollen filter, as it got dirty or whatever during the ordeal (and this replacement is scheduled for 48,000 km maintenance anyway, so they will not do that then). OK, I said.

Got back there at lunch time, paid the invoice, and picked up the car. Immediately after I went out, I found that all the problems are still there! The noise and the water coming inside. There were differences though: the noise acquired the hissing tone, and now it went on not only when left-turning, but also when changing lanes to the left!

I had no time to go back. I called the dealership and asked what exactly did they fix and I pay for, and asked for their advice on how to operate the car safely in that condition (should I turn HVAC off?). They said they will ask the mechanic and call me back. They never called me back for next 4 hours. I called them and learned that mechanic left for a while, and they will be closed in 15 minutes, so they have no info for me, and that's why they didn't call.

I tried to be polite and demanded the explanation anyway. They called me back in 5 minutes (the mechanic came back to work), and said that the mechanic made a test drive, and everything was fine. Also they told me that it is OK to have AC on even if there is such noise and water comes to the cabin, it is safe.

I am coming back to the dealership tomorrow.

My questions are:
- What is that problem? Did anybody have anything similar?
- Is it safe to have AC on in these conditions?
- Was it necessary to change AC filter?
- Should I stay away from that dealership?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:52 PM
dachoka
Unregistered
Default RE: Strange Problem: Left Turn Noise and Water in the Cabin

No doubt, unless the water is a different color, that you have a clogged drain tube. Now, the noise in the left turn, I would have to look at, but I don't think that you want to drive it down to Little Rock anytime soon.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Strange Problem: Left Turn Noise and Water in the Cabin

umm what sux is that i typed in a nice big post but there seems to be some problems with the forum.

anyway..

Your problem is so uncommon that I was really intersted in it. I'd have to do some research on that.

As for your questions

1. The problem is very uncommon and probably you have 2 separate problems rather than one
2. As long as you're getting cold air from the A/C it's ok , if you dont mind water coming into the cabin (...and I would be pissed)
3. It is not bad to replace the A/C filter it is a part of a regular Air conditioner service - same as you replace the filters at your home/office A/C units. Wether it was nessesary [&:] you can't really tell. But let's rule out that the filter is clogged now.
4. Yes and No - it is realy depends on the case,

No - because , dealer has many mechanics employed where each one can come up with different idea how to fix certain problem. They have united database and simply you don't have any other mechanic on account that can fix that. You already paid for your service and it is your right to ask for different mechanic or may be different sollution to your problem (in anycase always be nice)

Yes - Simply because dealer is expensive, dealer is not oriented toward single customer They are more sales oriented than repairs oriented. They will come up with thousands lame excuses before they can admit that they don't have a clue what the problem is.

Also i wonder if you start your car and turn the wheels left will it make a sound or only while driving. I mean try it with A/C on and see what happens. And let me see what i can find.

in any case keep us updated please.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
M.S. Dotson
Unregistered
Default ac noise when turning left

I have the same problem in a 190E Mercedes. When making a hard left turn, a grinding/gurgling sound starts at the right dash or just past there under the hood. Then clear, cold water leaks on my right floorboard. Recently, I had the ac blower replaced and now when I make a hard left, it makes a much louder rattling noise on the right and leaks water still. Thanks for the advice about the ac filter. My Honda doesn't have this problem.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Go back to the shop that did the blower, & give them an opportunity to make it right for free. Can't hurt, right?

It's not just Honda. EVERY car has to have some kind of drain for the AC evaporator becuase it collects water like a dehumidifier. They're located in all different ways, but every car has it. And some are more likely than others to collect leaves & bugs & crud.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C Noise

I had the exact same issue with my car. I noticed a sound when turning my car and I also found the floor soaked. As mentioned earlier, the condensation drain is plugged-up, causing water to build up. When the vehicle is turned, I'm guessing that the water is redirected towards the blower, which causes the sound you are hearing. I fixed this by getting under the car, by the front passenger wheel and finding a tube that hangs down. Carefully run a stiff wire up through this tube, to free the blockage. I also changed my cabin filter, which when dirty, definitely has an effect on the a/c system. I have not had an issue all summer.

Regards,