General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Remote Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Default Strange Remote Start Issue

Hi. I have something new going on with my 2016 Accord ES w/ sensing. After I start the car via the factory installed remote start feature, normally, I would just push the start button while having the foot on the brake and the car would fully turn on and I could just drive off. Now, after starting the car via remote, when I get inside and put my foot on the break and push the start button, the car shuts off. I can then just step on the break and push the start button and the car would start up again like normal and I can drive off.

Things I noticed:

Normally when starting car by remote, the info panel on the dash would say something like "step on break and push start button" But now, the info panel has MPG info, not the step on the break and push start button message.

If I start the car by remote and unlock the front door by the keyless entry feature, then open and close the back door, the info panel will switch from displaying the MPG info and switch to the "step on break and push start button" message. I can then just put my foot on the break and press the start button and the car will fully turn on and I can drive off.

Any idea on what the problem is? Maybe some sensor, or switch?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 02-17-2021, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the car isn't detecting you opening the drivers door to get in. (Because it works properly if you open the back door)

How about the drivers door switch? Does the drivers door activate the interior lights the way it should?

Old 02-17-2021, 03:59 PM

Hi Jim,
Yes, the lights do activate when the front door opens.
If I remote start the car, I can peek at the info panel and see it display MPG info, before opening the door. I should be seeing the "step on break and push start button" message displayed. From there I can unlock the front door, open the back door, then the info panel message changed from MPG to the "step on break and push start button" message. I can then step on the break and push the start button and go off.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a circuit diagram for 2016 so I don't know if there's 2 different switches (or 2 circuits) for those functions. Besides, some of that might be on a data bus instead of a discrete circuit. But it sure seems like the auto-start system isn't getting the message that the front door has been opened.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't have a circuit diagram for 2016 so I don't know if there's 2 different switches (or 2 circuits) for those functions. Besides, some of that might be on a data bus instead of a discrete circuit. But it sure seems like the auto-start system isn't getting the message that the front door has been opened.
Jim,
I think the issue starts before the door is opened. When starting via remote now, the dash display shows MPG info. You can see this without opening or unlocking the door. It should display the step on brake and push start button message. If I unlock the driver's door and open a rear door or passenger door, the display switches from displaying MPG to step on brake and push start button message.
Bob

Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I thought that message was supposed to switch when the door is opened.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:11 PM

Yes. Typical behavior is to display the "step on brake and push start button" message on the dash once you remotely start the car. It would stay on until you stepped on the brake and pushed the start button. Now, for some reason, once you remotely start the car, you see MPG info displayed.