General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stripped transaxle drain hole

Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
txgunslinger
Unregistered
Default stripped transaxle drain hole

Hey all,

It's been a long day.

I'm replacing the driver side axle and followed the Haynes manual suggesting I drain the tranny - mostly I just did that b/c I figure it's probably due for it anyway. After it drained, I started threading in the drain plug (by hand first to make sure it wasn't cross threaded) and finished off by tightening it with my 3/8 ratchet. It was snug and I just wanted to give it 'one little push' to make it tight... now I'm screwed (pun intended).

I really don't want to go to the hassle of a heli-coil - what other options do i have? Autozone guy says they have over-size drain bolts for that - anyone ever used one? What about loctite or jbweld?

thx for your help.

thomas

Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: stripped transaxle drain hole

I would just use a tap the next size up and get an oversized bolt. Loctite or silicone isnt going to hold a lot of pressure and may not even cure correctly/adhere and JBWeld might not let you remove the bolt very easily.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
txgunslinger
Unregistered

my brother-in-law came by to give me a lift to autozone. while there I looked at the oversize bolts they had and nothing was big enough, so I went the jbweld route, but with a twist. My BIL said he did it once where he wrapped the bolt in teflon tape first, then threaded it into the hole and he was able to get the bolt out afterward - I'm gonna try that. I'll let ya know how it goes.

thx again

Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah teflon tape is a good idea!