General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM
chafey
Unregistered
Default Strong Smell

Hi,

I'm new to your forum and this is my first post. I hope someone out there has the knowledge to answer my query !!!

I have a 2004 Accord 2.2 Diesel. Ive recently noticed when I put my internal blowers on ( either warm or cold, air con on or off ) there is a strong smell which I can only compare to exhaust fumes, filling the inside of the vehicle.Obviously im concerned carbon monoxide fumes may be entering the cabin, but where from ???Ive changed the pollen filter but it hasn't cured it.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem or know how to fix it...

Thanking you in advance...

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Strong Smell

Have you looked for oil or exhaust leaks in the engine bay?

We dont get the diesel engine here in USA. Seems to me there might be something like an exhaust catalyst/soot-filter that has to back-flush itself occasionally. Leaks in that system??

Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm thinking exhaust leak getting sucked into the fresh air duct.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 AM
chafey
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies..

I have considered if its an exhaust leak, but cant see how its entering the air duct.

Will have to get my head in the engine bay and look around.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:42 AM

I am a new member and have just bought a 54 plate 2.2 cdti ex tourer..it seems to run really well (only had it for about ten days) but have noticed the same problem when starting and pulling away...a smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin.... have looked under the bonnet but cant see or hear anything untoward with the exhaust system?? I know zilch about engines but was interested to see your post?
Is there a way to locate a leak on the exhaust other than just listening??..something a numbty like me would be able to do??
I am not completely dumb...I am an Chiller tech as a job but just never learned anything about cars :-)

Last edited by Hunkamunka; 01-24-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What happens if you chose recirculation air with the blower on assuming your diesel has that selection?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

If you hold an old rag over the tailpipe, that will increase the back-pressure inside the exhaust pipe. That'll make any leaks louder & easier to find. You probably want to find someone to hold the rag while you're up front listening for leaks.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks Kris and Jim for the ideas...also Chafey for starting the thread...the motor goes back in to the vendor on thursday to check out the problem...I will let you know the outcome...

Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM

I have the same problem on my Accord which has covered 73k miles.

I bought my used Accord estate 2.2cdti 2005 from a main dealer. The car is out of warranty. Reading other users with the same problem and Honda UK are recognising the problem.

I popped into my local Honda dealer explaining the fumes in the cabin. Immediately they informed me that they will put a claim into Honda UK for a new manifold kit Also explained that they are number of manifolds with a weak weld but they don't know which exact cars have them so they couldn’t do a recall (do you believe it?). The onus is for you to inform them. Also was informed that Honda is covering cars up to 10 years.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Default Michael Rooker

Hi Sammohung,
I have this fault on my Accord 2.2 ex 07 but because I have done over 125k Honda refuse to fix it under warranty,even though according to the service book the exhaust and manifold is covered for 5 years unlimited mileage,they say it is cracked not perforated.
I guess I have been breathing in exhaust gasses for the past 3 months,which explains why I had a cough I couldn't shift,how Honda have the gall to not warn ictdi owners that their health is at risk,when this manufacturers fault occurs borders on criminal,as it seems they knew these manifolds could fail at any time. How did you get on with getting it fixed,and are they fitting the same faulty parts or is the replacement a mk2 ie faultless,

Michael.

Quick Reply: Strong Smell