General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struts and front end noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Default Struts and front end noises

Hi,
This spring I bought my daughter her first car -- an '02 Accord w/147k. Of the 8 or 10 cars I looked at it seemed by far the most mechanically sound, and the interior is excellent for a car this age.

She's put around 3k on it and we've had no major issues.
There's some brake pulsation, but my guess is that's mainly her riding the brakes too much and causing some deposits. The more brake force you give it, the smoother it feels. Pads are in good condition.

There is some knocking up front over bumps. My first check was the sway bar bushings. They look good, but I'm not ruling them out. They are probably old and rigid which might allow them to knock. The end links feel solid.

I slid the dust cover up the strut shaft and found the passenger's side isolator (I think it's called?) is torn into 2 pieces. So I'm replacing front struts this weekend. I found a video and this appears to be about as easy a strut replacement as there could be.

I'll try to get a read on the wheel bearings and ball joints.
Anything else I'm not thinking of that could be causing the knocking I'm hearing?

Old 07-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking the ball joints (lower, upper, and tie-rod) for play. Almost any play indicates replacement but may not be cause of noise. Noise woiuld likely require a very loose ball joint.

There are two BJ's on each tie rod; an outer (easy to see) and an inner (behind boot). Both can develop play and can be replaced.

good luck

Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by n2audio
There is some knocking up front over bumps.
... So I'm replacing front struts this weekend. I found a video and this appears to be about as easy a strut replacement as there could be.
I have the same knocking over slow speed / sharp bumps in my '92 EX; hope you post up whether new struts fixed your problem. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Got the struts done and the oil changed.

As expected, easiest strut replacement I could imagine. Other than the effort required in pushing the lower control arm down enough to wiggle the old one out and new one in this could not have been easier.

Unfortunately, I'm still hearing similar knocks in the suspension. I'm still suspecting sway bar bushings. There may also be some noises coming from the steering system so I'm penciling in tie rod ends and swb's for the next wrench session.