General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Default Stuck speedometer

I have a 96 Honda accord LX that has a speedo that shoots up to 20mph
as soon as I turn on the key and it will stay there for most of my driving.
Occasionaly it will resort back to normal operation but very infrequently.
I swapped out the gauge cluster with a good used one and the problem still exists. What else is in this circuit that can cause this problem.
The Haynes book is of no help in this area.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Are you 100% sure the replacement was working, kind of a common issue?

Does the car have cruise, if so does it work while the spedo is not working. Is the odo and trip working just the speed not reading.

The PCB on the back of the spedo is usually where the issue is, some have re-done the connections-removing the "glue" from the connections and then touching them up. Some shops will repair them. Know a guy (he works for Honda) that will repair them for ~$85 and that includes the return shipping.

Last to answer your question - the VSS sends the signal. Usually there would be a code, cruise, odo and trip would not be working. That is why I asked about them.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 AM

The odometer and trip meter do not work when speedo is stuck , the cruise usually works but not sure if it does when the speedo is stuck. I am an electronics tech so
pcb work is familiar to me. Can you tell me where this mysterious glue is or where I might look for the VSS. I have 2 gauge clusters that do the exact same thing. Pretty
sure its not the gauge units. Thanks for any further help here. So far I am out
$260 for the gauge unit and service charges.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

VSS is on the trans, almost right below the inlet to the tb. If you don't have a manual, get one....in the Common DIY Threads at the top of this section there is a link where you can download one.

The PCB I'm peaking of, is the one on the back of the speedo gauge. If you still have the old one, you can practice on it. Once you remove the spedo unit it you will see the board. You will see the "glue" I'm speaking of.....online dealers sell that part of the cluster for ~$150.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck speedometer-5th-gen-trans-sensor.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM

I have 2 Haynes manuals that have gotten me this far, 2 different series but both work well together. BTW the cruise control does work even when the speedo is stuck on 20mph. Does this change the reasoning? Wow that is a lot of sensors on one car. Thanks a ton for the diagram and your time for your answers. Is there a way to test the VSS with an OHM meter or is it just a test by substitution? Since both clusters are doing the exact same thing tends to lead me away from the gauge cluster . Any other tests you may have would be appreciated.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I always prefer to test things before replacing....but

the fact that the cruise works when the speedo does not, confirms that the VSS is good, that was a cheap/quick test...Sorry bad speedo.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looks like a wiring or connector fault that couples VSS signals to gauge panel. You will need to trace the signal wire from gauge panel backwards towards VSS looking for damaged connector or wiring.

good luck

Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM

That glue looks like epoxy. Its hard as a rock. and its on the back or the IC chips.
That looks like a problem in itself. No obvious visual problems noticed but those
attaching scews sure were loose. Still trying to figure out why 2 different gauges would have the same identical problems. Almost looks like an intermitant ground
problem which is going to be a test of patience to find. Thanks guys , any other ideas appreciated.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Did you use the original speedometer with the new cluster?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 AM

I swapped out the entire cluster. All is working except the speedo, odometer and the trip meter. Occasionally it will go back to normal operation, ( a mile or so) then it goes back to being stuck on 20mph. Cruise control does work. This cluster is acting just like the original cluster did.

Quick Reply: Stuck speedometer