General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Stuck wheels...

So on my Civic (and I assume Accords are probably the same) I'm having one hell of a time getting wheels off.

The lugnuts come off just fine, nice 25 in. breaker bar does them off nice and easily. The lugnuts are the easy part. Once the lugnuts come off though the wheels are practically welded to the hubs. The wheels are just standard OEM steelies that came with the LX trim.

I've tried so much, I've tried kicking it, hitting it with a rubber mallet on the sidewall and the steel part, it won't come off.

So now I'm trying to see what my options are. How safe is it to hit harder on the sidewall? I'm not sure if tires are meant to be hit there without rupturing it. Is it possible to break the bead and blow it up if I keep hitting it there? Other people mentioned lowering the car from the jack usually pops it off or loosely tightening the lugnuts and then driving around or braking hard usually does it they say.

But is this dangerous for the studs? I'm really not sure where the load of the car is distributed, is it on the studs or that little protrusion on the hub center? I just don't want it to fall off or something and put pressure on the studs when it's not supposed to, snapping them off or something. For example let's say a wheel is stuck to the hub. I see the center from the hub protrudes out and the wheel is resting on that. Fine. But if I loosely put the lugnuts back on, drive forward and then brake hard, the wheel would break from the hub, spin and wouldn't the wheel slam into the studs? The only thing that prevents this from happening is tightening your lugnuts to proper torque specs which holds the wheel hard against the hub so the wheel doesn't spin freely from the hub right?

Anyone experience this before and know what my options are? What can I try to safely remove these without damaging anything?

Last edited by MessAround; 08-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

I did this on a rusty car once and it worked great. All the lug nuts should be on but two or three turns loose. Drive car forward or backward at about two miles per hour. Hit brakes hard! Jack up car and remove wheel.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I use a dead blow hammer on the inside of the rim, with the car safely jacked up and supported with jack stands.

I then clean any rust off the mounting surfaces and apply a very thing coat of anti-seize to prevent future problems.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Corvair
I did this on a rusty car once and it worked great. All the lug nuts should be on but two or three turns loose. Drive car forward or backward at about two miles per hour. Hit brakes hard! Jack up car and remove wheel.
My mechanic friend suggested something similar. Loosen the lug nuts about 1 turn away from the rim and go make some very slow figure 8's...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Never thought of the driving it method.

In the past(with the car securely supported) I got under the car and hit the back side of the rims(steel rims) with a sledge hammer. I wouldn't recommend it with an alloy rim.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you wail at it with a sledgehammer, there's a chance to unseat the bead of the tire.

Put a piece of 2x4 against the sidewall to spread out the impact. Then hit it hard with a sledgehammer.

Make sure the car doesn't fall down off the jack-stands while you're doing this...

Then put some grease or anti-seize compound around the center-hole of the rim, so it doesn't stick like that next time.