General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

super stuck wheel problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default super stuck wheel problems!

So basically after noticing my car was dripping fluid, I decided to jack it up and have a look. While it was on jackstands, i decided to spin the wheels with my hand and watch the other spin in the oposite direction! (im easily amused) it was then that I realized that the brakes on the front passenger side tire were rubbing. So I proceed to take off the tire to get a better look. I take off the lug nuts, and the hubcap. and once i get those off, i try go get the wheel off. Thing wont fricken budge. ive leaned into it as hard as i can, stuck stuff in the steel rim holes and pulled on em has hard as i can. that thing is rock solid on there, feels like i left all the lugs on. (yes, they are all off).

The bolt that holds on the rotors is covered in this yellow gunk that looks like offbrand loctite, and its completely drenched in this stuff to the point where its in between the rim and the rotor. My guess is this is what is holding it on. Its gummy, yellow, and really pissing me off. Ive tried dousing the area in WD-40 and no go.
Im a few minutes away from just stickin a bottle jack between the tire and something in the suspension and praying the tire comes off not whateveri put it against.

help?

EDIT: well i got it off... i spend an hour trying to get it off... post this... go into the garage, kick it from under the car and "SNAP" as the glue holding it on breaks. figures.

Turns out they used this yellow offbrand loctite/glue to keep the wheel on. Like they doused the section of the rotor that the wheel connects to in it.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Default RE: super stuck wheel problems!

haha .... I actually tried to post to kick the edge of the sidewall to break it loose, but I had to reload and copy and paste.

so what's leaking??

Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM

that's the way i have been doing it, raise it up on the lift and give it a good round- house or side kick ,, just make sure to leave a lug nut in there,( just with a few thread )so the wheel will not go flying off ..

Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM

lol ..... DH would've Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it ...... the thing could've been welded on and he'd get it off!!!! uhhhh desert???? wouldn't you just break the stud that way? j/k

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM

haha roundhouse kick.

as far as whats leaking, its either oil or power steering fluid. my guess is the latter. im not sure what its called, but the accordian-style rubber thing that connects to the steering rack (drivers side) has oil/power steering fluid all over it. I cant for the life of me figure out where thats coming from either, because the fluid is in the middle of the accordian thing. actually it could be brake fluid too, its right below the master cylender, but my spidey senses tell me no on that one.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:39 PM

you sure it's not grease from the cv joint? wipe some off with a white paper towel, what color is it?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM

its brown, like oil or brake fluid. Im pretty sure its not from the CV joint, Its brand new, just had it replaced about 2500 miles ago. plus i checked both while i was under there.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Smell it. Oil and brake fluid smell completely different. Not sure was power steering fluid smells like though.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:00 PM

smells like strawberries...
not even joking.

Its a pretty thin fluid, no way its grease.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Like strawberries?
What does it taste like? JK! JK!
I do not recall brake fluid smelling like strawberries. Or Power Steering Fluid. Or any other kind of fluid. You got me stumped here.

Quick Reply: super stuck wheel problems!