General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension (springs) sagging

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Default Suspension (springs) sagging

2003 Accord Ex, 4 Dr
130,000 miles

My car has been bottoming out (a "crunching" noise) when hitting bumps in road. It pulls to the left constantly and it visibly sags to the drivers side (can see it when sitting in drivers seat if your looking for it). I checked the tire pressure and they are all at correct pressure.

I am assuming its the springs or the struts in the back passenger side. Took it into STS and they said it looks like the spring is sagging; struts look OK (not leaking oil) and spring is not broken. They said that they couldn't get the springs for a week so I got the car back (no charge, I like these guys).

I called the dealer and he said that he can order the springs, will take a day or two. He said that he rarely gets orders for springs, that it is usually the struts. And when it is the springs they are actually broken, not just "sagging".

Just wanted to get a second opinion before I have the work done to replace just the springs. Does this sound right, that the spring is sagging? Is there a way to tell if the strut is bad? Is there a way to tell if it is the spring or the strut causing the sagging?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I would also wonder if any other suspension components are bent. Did they (can they) check for that?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If it visibly sags when standing still, I would put money on springs even though it's uncommon at that mileage.

If it's bottoming out as well, I'd have to say at least one strut is bad.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM

I was told by HondaPartsNow.com that it is much less labor to replace the entire Shock Absorbor Assembly than just the spring (I believe this is actually a "strut assembly" but their part name is "shock absorbor assembly"). It $37 vs. $109, but since I'm paying to have it installed the extra $72 is probably worth it (something else could break in the strut assembly in the next few months).

My question now is: should I replace both sides or is that a waste of money (if the passenger side is fine)? My gut feel is to spend the money and do both. Anyone want to venture an opinion? Also do you think it makes sense to spend the money on the whole strut assembly as opposed to just replacing the spring? (how long do the struts usually last)?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

I would never replace only one side shock absorber. They need to match each other.