General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve cover seal kit question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Default Valve cover seal kit question

I've got a 94 Accord LX 2.2 that I have been working on replacing the timing belts on. Have finally completed that and am working on the top end to get this thing back together so I can see why it doesn't run.
PS. Thanks to all for the help on the items above. I got a gasket kit for the valve cover and spark plugs yesterday. First, where do the o-rings go that come in the kit? Secondly, I just read a thread on how to install the spark plug seals and it says they can be installed backwards. They have a lip on them and I assume they go in with that lip OUT, and not pushed up into the grove?
The o-rings have me stumped though. Didn't take any out taking it apart.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Probably the LOWER sparkplug tube seals (#19). You have to remove the valve gear & the camshaft bearing caps. I wouldn't do that unless you continue getting oil onto your spark plugs.

I think you're right about the upper tube seals. Narrow part in the groove, wider flat part down against the head. IIRC, you should be able to look at the cross-section shape of the main VC gasket for guidance on those others.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks Jim,
After feeling down the spark plug tubes, I figured that might be where they are. We'll see how this does first before attempting anything further. You originally helped me with this timing belt. It would be a lot quicker if I didn't have 2-3 month intervals between times to work on it. Thanks again for your help.