General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Default Synthetic oil or not?

Just purchased a 2011 Honda Accord EX sedan with 79K miles. This vehicle was meticulously maintained by a local Honda dealership here in SC.
I've always used Mobile 1 full syn oil and lately Amsoil syn products.
Someone said using synthetic oil will cause oil leaks, especially in the main seals. Is this true? Should I use conventional oil rather than synthetic?
Seems odd that synthetic oil could cause issues.

I pulled the dip stick yesterday and the oil looked like it had come straight out of the bottle it was so clean. The car was definitely cared for and I don't want to upset a good thing.

Did change out the low beam bulbs today to some 4000K Phillips bulbs made in Germany. Will see tonight how they perform. What a job getting my hand in there to get at the bulb.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM

I use synthetic in a 2000 Accord with 240K miles on it. No leaks!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Let me start by saying this is a highly debated topic.

Use an oil that meets the spec's the car calls for - I'm going to guess - a guess so take it for that - an oil that meets the spec's for your car is either going to come in a "syn blend" of full "syn" choice.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

I think saying synthetic oil causes leaks is very misleading. I think putting synthetic oil into and engine with worn or brittle seals could allow synthetic oil to leak.

I use synthetic oil in my TSX I bought with about 100K miles and have no problems.

It is important to check the oil level on vechicles with such a long time between oil changes. Running low on oil can cause engine damage. If you do have an oil leak, just top off the oil, then find/repair the leak.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 PM

I'm very particular about checking my oil level, even when using extended interval oils. Also, I agree that the oil specs meet or exceed what the manufacturer requires.
So, currently there are zero leaks anywhere. Not even a past sign of a leak.
Since I like Amsoil products--formerly used Royal Purple Syn oil, I will talk to their tech people and see if their products do in fact meet factory specs.
I'm just trying to get an edge on engine care and wear.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think you're way over thinking the whole oil thing. Use any of the premium synthetic oils, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, whatever, it matters not; your engine will outlast the rest of the car.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Any brand name oil way over exceeds the cars specs by a mile and the premium brand your using is way above top shelf. I also agree your way over thinking the oil. Most of the "funky" weight oils they direct you to use today are automatically semi-synthetic anyway keep even that changed when you should (or sooner) and the engine will last just fine. Most people buy according to the commercials they see and the hype that any one company can get across to the consumer. Ad agencies are selling you on the oil not the oil companies...

Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hondame
Just purchased a 2011 Honda Accord EX sedan with 79K miles. This vehicle was meticulously maintained by a local Honda dealership here in SC.
I've always used Mobile 1 full syn oil and lately Amsoil syn products.
Someone said using synthetic oil will cause oil leaks, especially in the main seals. Is this true? Should I use conventional oil rather than synthetic?
Seems odd that synthetic oil could cause issues.

I pulled the dip stick yesterday and the oil looked like it had come straight out of the bottle it was so clean. The car was definitely cared for and I don't want to upset a good thing.

Did change out the low beam bulbs today to some 4000K Phillips bulbs made in Germany. Will see tonight how they perform. What a job getting my hand in there to get at the bulb.

Thanks.

Whoever told you that, told you something that is not true! I have a 2001 Honda Accord V6 with 187000 miles and have AMSOIL 5w20 installed in it and change it every 25000 miles. I do not have nor have I ever had leaks using AMSOIL and I use it in my Trucks and other automobiles!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Hondame
Just purchased a 2011 Honda Accord EX sedan with 79K miles. This vehicle was meticulously maintained by a local Honda dealership here in SC...
You should call that local Honda dealer and ask what oil they use for 2011 Accord oil changes and stick with that oil.

EDIT: I've had two high mileage cars that developed immediate oil leaks at the seal leading to the distributor (both caused the car to stop at roadside in short order!). 1 was a '93 Accord with 185000 (Amsoil), 1 was '97 Nissan at 125000 (Redline); so from now on I stay with what the car has been using. YMMV

Last edited by UhOh; 04-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind, since the advent of 5W-20 oil, (Honda was an early adopter), engines lubricated with this oil have been exposed to some level of synthetic oil from the very beginning. Why? Due to the way in which the 5W-20 specification was created, virtually all oils in this grade have at least some synthetic oil in their base stock.

To take it one step further, if you have one of the Hondas which specify 0W-20 (or have used 0W-20 in your engine), then by definition, you've always used synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil or not?