Synthetic oil or not? - Page 2 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM

I know I'll probably get caned or something here, but if you have an Automatic Trans, use ONLY Honda ATF in it.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
I know I'll probably get caned or something here, but if you have an Automatic Trans, use ONLY Honda ATF in it.
Certainly not from the likes of me.

The thing about ATF is different vehicle manufacturers design their transmissions to expect a very specific coefficient of friction (COF) in the ATF; regardless of the quality of the base-stock oils used for the ATF, if the COF is incorrect, the internal clutches will either grab too quickly (too high of a COF) or too slowly (too low of a COF), either way, a premature failure of the transmission is a matter of "when", not "if".

Long story short, unless a non-Honda ATF states it is certified by Honda to be 100% compatible with the Honda ATF (I don't believe there are any), then the ONLY fluid one should use in one's Honda automatic transmission is Honda ATF.

Last edited by shipo; 04-21-2017 at 07:16 AM.