Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

V6 VTEC accord....regular oil vs synthetic AND regular gas VS Premium

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Default V6 VTEC accord....regular oil vs synthetic AND regular gas VS Premium

Right now my car has regular gas and oil...

I tried a full tank of premium and didnt notice anything....I have always used MOBIL 1 synthetic oil in all my other cars...is there a difference in this engine and should i stick to regular or start using premium...

what do u all use?
thanks

Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: V6 VTEC accord....regular oil vs synthetic AND regular gas VS Premium

Use of premium fuel results in a loss of 4hp and up to 15ft/lbs of torque (low midrange). J30a is very conservatively tuned due to lack of a knock sensor. You can look this up in the Car and Driver November 01 issue.

I use straight dino oil and change every 6K

Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Default RE: V6 VTEC accord....regular oil vs synthetic AND regular gas VS Premium

don't waste the cash on premium. Like YeuEmMaiMai said, it results in lost power, plus you pay more for it! Stick with the 87 octane.

As far as mobil 1 goes, I love the stuff. I've used it at every change since I've had the car and my motor runs strong, even after turboing it with high milage and running it hard daily. I don't abuse it, but I'm not scared to let it rip either . If you've got the extra money for it, I would highly recommend it. Seems to have worked for me!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:33 AM

yea i will use mobil 1 and now regular gas...thanks

i havent changed the oil yet...is the oil filter easy to get to or hard?

anything else i should know about this car or what i should do to it?>

ythanks

Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

Use of premium fuel results in a loss of 4hp and up to 15ft/lbs of torque (low midrange). J30a is very conservatively tuned due to lack of a knock sensor. You can look this up in the Car and Driver November 01 issue.
That isn't true, the conditions for the 2 dyno runs weren't the same.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 AM

where did you get that information? Everyone knows that premium fuel burns slower than 87 and if the timing isnt right you will have less efficiency. C&D did the dyno run with several cars and the results were not that shocking. All of the cars that required premium fuel ran with less power than they would with regular and the accord did what I would have expected it to do.

J30a does not have any means for adjusting the timing based upon octane. At the time &D could not figure it out but it is pretty obvious now since we know what the J30a does and does not have. The results at the track show that the j30a that is not tuned for higher octane is a few tenths slower through the quarter versus running 87

There is a huge faq over at v6performance.net that goes into great detail about this.......