General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Systems Description Guides

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Systems Description Guides

Does anyone know of where I can find a systems guide for 6th or 7th gen Accords? Like guides that describe each individual car system, what each and every button does and how it affects other systems, etc. I've been spoiled by my airplanes and want to expand that knowledge to my cars.

Example: My dad's 06 EX with climate control, when auto mode is engaged, is the air conditioning compressor running when the outside air temp is relatively cold? Is it spinning but air is simply not being run through it? Or my 02, when the key is in the ON position but the motor hasn't been started, what electronics are running, is anything happening with the fuel system/ECU...I think you get the picture.

Here's an example of a basic airplane's systems guide:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83851818/Skyhawk%20systems.pdf

I've tried to figure out some stuff through the service manuals but I can't find general descriptions of the car systems, only how to fix them.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the level of detail in the Owner's Manual and Honda Shop Manual is inadequate, I think you're out of luck. Do you have the Honda Shop Manual?

Aircraft systems are safety critical and deeper understanding is necessary for pilots and operators. Car manufacturers probably don't publish detailed design info for liability and proprietary reasons.

good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

The Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual would be another source. Generally, you would have to review all three sources (owner's manual, shop service manual, and the ETM) to see more of the detail. But, it wouldn't have a description of everything either.

You can go to Helminc.com to purchase some of the documents.

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I do have the shop manual for both generations, but that's just too much work for me to get an accurate description. Not really necessary for me to have, but I'm enough of a nerd that I like to know whats going on and how things work in both the big and small picture. Just was wondering, I didn't know if maybe Honda made an internal document that leaked.