General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T Trans kick down issues - cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Default A/T Trans kick down issues - cable

Over the last several months I've been trying to get this A/T trans to shift correctly. I've tried snugging up the cable a little and it seemed to shift hard, then I loosened up the cable and it seemed to shift better except now it downshifts at awkward times. Seems opposite. Loosening the cable should reduce the downshifting correct? The scenario would be slowing down at an intersection, rolling slowly through a right hand turn and then very gently hitting the gas. It immediately downshifts and then upshifts back to the same gear.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know automatics really well, but I'll bump this for you.

I think the cable should be adjusted so the the lever on the transmission just begins moving immediately when the throttle begins opening.

How about dirty/corroded cable with excessive friction inside it's housing? Then the transmission lever won't move responsively with the throttle.

What kind of ATF and how clean is it?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

From "http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html":
Only for the computer controlled transmission. The transmission detects pedal dept via two points. One at the TPS and the other at the transmission. If the deeper you press the gas the less harsh it becomes then the problems lies on the out-of-adjustment at the transmission throttle cable.

Probable solution: Using a wrench, adjust the transmission throttle cable in small increments and test drive. Tip: The more the slack the harsher the shift. If this does not solve the problem then it could be a shift timing or other problems as expressed below.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Is it possible the problem is with my TPS? If so, wouldn't that cause other issues with engine performance?