General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about shifter cable vs selector cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Question Question about shifter cable vs selector cable

Quick question, probably a dumb one. So my clutch started having issues shifting last week and I noticed I could hardly get it into 2nd,3rd,or 4th gears. Seemed like it may be a shifter cable issue, and finally the cable snapped last night. The only way to get the car into gear is the manually put it in gear from under the hood. I looked and it is actually my selector cable that snapped. So the parts stores here sell shifter cables, but the selector cables are dealer only parts and cost 3 times as much. When I look at the manual, the 2 cables appear to look the exact same. I was wondering if anyone happens to know if the selector cable and the shifter cables are interchangeable? When I called Honda, the part # they gave me is actually for a change wire. So I am just confused about whether or not they are 2 different parts, or 2 completely separate parts. My car is a 2006 Accord EX, 2.4L 5spd. Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

They appear to be similar but not identical. See following link.

Honda Automotive Parts

Looks like they are sold as a unit and not individual parts.

good luck

Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Usually the term "selector" is used for automatic transmission. That has a cable also, but it is a single cable not 2 of em.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the link! I was kind of confused because I had thought they were a unit but all my parts stores are selling shifter cables by themselves, and the selector cables are dealer only parts. The guy at the store told me the only difference between the 2 was the strength of the cable, so I could go ahead and try using a shifter cable in place of the selector. But if I have to replace both as a unit I don't understand why the shifter cables are sold individually.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Just me but I'll guess/bet that cable will not work. The "guy" at the store is blowing smoke, again my personal opinion and not knocking on anyone.

Have you looked at getting a used set cables from a "bone yard"?