General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech questions re importing 1997 to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Default 97 Accord Daytime Running lights & adding an Electronic Immobilizer System?

hello everyone,
Firstly, this is my first post here - what a great forum. It seems like this forum has tons of well informed Honda users, and I'm hoping you can all help me with the following questions.

I have a 1997 Accord 4 Cylinder, and there is a chance that I will be relocating to Canada for work in the next few months. I wish to bring my 1997 with me because I will be living in an area where I will need a car.

For me to import the car to Canada, there are certain things it looks like will have to be done:

1) I need running daytime lights. I know that on my 1997, I have them already if I turn the light switch on once, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not this will suffice for customs purposes? If not, how much will fixing this/updating this cost me?

2) How much will it cost to install an Electronic Immobilizer System? By law, all cars driven in Canada must have the system, and in order for me to import it, I'd have to get one installed. I know for a fact that my Accord does not have this; if only we had bought the car a year later... this would not be an issue, but oh well.

3) If any of you have imported a Honda to Canada, what other things are there to consider, and how much did it cost you? If it makes any difference, I'd be immigrating to Quebec.

Thanks!

Erica

Last edited by allora; 02-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

As far as the daytime running lights thing goes, I imagine they mean they must come on automatically, because anyone can just turn their lights on. I know that there is a factory daytime running lights kit for the 94-97 Accords, but I think it was only available in other countries. You can find them on ebay from time to time.

As far as the immobilizer goes, I have no idea how you would go about doing that, or even if its possible. I guess in theory you could get the ECU and steering column electronics out of a 98-02 accord and swap them out, but your looking at a ton of labor and a wiring disaster.

Honestly to me it seems like it would just be far easier to just sell it and buy another car when you get there.

I know they have R32 and maybe even R33 Nissan Skylines in Canada

Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM

I dont know a whole lot about this stuff but I DO live in Canada so I can tell you what I have.

I am quite sure the DRLs must be always-on. On my car, as soon as I turn the key the lights come on in a reduced state. There is also a dash light that warns of a problem with the DRL unit or circuitry. I believe most of the hardware for the DRLs is in a small box under the dash. I've mucked around with this box quite a bit because my DRLs werent working when I got the car.

As for the Immobilizer, I think that may be on new cars only, I would think that old cars are fine. My car has no such system.

Last edited by Adler; 02-06-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Check the laws about the immobilizer. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I bet you only have to bring it up to 1997 rules. If a 1997 Canada Accord has the immobilizer, you can probably find an ECU with immobilizer in a junkyard up there.

Anyone have a Helm book that covers 1997? I used to have a 98-99 book, and it had all the wiring details for USA and Canada cars. For example, the DRL wasn't an add-on; the wiring harness was different. That would suggest you're better off finding an aftermarket DRL kit, rather than grab a DRL relay from a Canadian junkyard.

I remember from the Saab boards someone in a similar situation found a website run by the Canada govmt. agency that deals with individuals bringing in their cars. He said it had a lot of good information & downloads of forms that you'll need.

That's completely different from a dealer who wants to import cars to sell. Make sure you're looking at the stuff for private individuals who are gonna keep their own car.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I have read the RIV website, but it's just confused me more than I was before, so I've sent an email to the RIV. Will report back on what they tell me. Meanwhile, if anyone else has any other ideas about my questions, I'm all ears

Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

A quick google search shows this thread:

hondacarforum.com/honda-3/25140-daytime-running-lights-my-97-accord.html

Hamsar makes several different models that will work; e.g., one with photo sensor, one without, etc..

hamsar.com/Content/EN/Support_DRLAppGuide.aspx

Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

http://www. saabnet. com/tsn/bb/general/index.html?bID=222399
One guy said it was kinda easy, 2 others said not so easy.

Another question just occurred to me... Is this a permanent move? If temporary, this might be a whole different question when you ask RIV about it.