General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

throttle body and compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Question throttle body and compatibility

ok so im a newb to this site and i have a specific question which i figured id rely on the honda world to answer

so my throttle position sensor is cracked, my car idles wierd, stalls out sometimes, and the speedo only works here and there... i know its possible to replace only the tps itself but i have heard it requires some special tools and is hard to do... i figure a used throttle body off ebay would suffice (50$)... so here is my question - will the throttle body from a 96 accord dx (auto) fit and be compatible with a 96 accord lx (manual)... my hopes are that this is a dumb question an i will hear YES obviously, but rather then waste time and money, i figured id ask... so thank you to anyone who gives knowlegable answers and sorry to those of you who will the need to make me look like an idiot

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

They do not have the same part number, so I don't think that they are compatible.

I unplugged my throttle position sensor when mine went, and it ran better than having it plugged into a broken sensor. I drove to visit my parents (~500 miles) and really didn't have a problem. Maybe poorer gas mileage.

I had an aftermarket TP sensor go out on me in less than a year, so I am not a huge fan of them. I would look at a site like car-part.com to search for junkyard parts by price, distance, etc to get what you need.

If you go with the aftermarket TP sensor, I can give you some instructions. All you really need is a volt meter to install it. You will also need a dremel to cut a slot in the tamper-proof bolts or a drill.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM

let me first say ive been sittin here waiting for a reply since i posted this a lil while ago lol clicking refresh every few minutes and this is exactly why i decided to come here first. i wish there was a rating button or something cause id give u a 10 lol... i went right outside (rain n all) unplugged it and started it up and it was perfect. that in itself made my day.

let me give you a tiny more background info... were the throttle linkage goes into a black circular piece that looks like it is attached to the firewall... sorry i dont know what to call the piece... but that piece (kind of looks like a funnel almost) its got a chip in it, so i zip tied my linkage cable to hold it in place there... that may also affect it im guessing? but anyways that was a side note... unplugged the tps an it had a perfect idle, and showed absolutely no signs of wanting to stall out... the stalling was the worst part... and if u drove 500 miles on that then i guess that may buy me a little time to find the correct piece... but i also just got off that website and all i can say is thanks! there are a ton on there and some really cheap ones at that... i think im just gonna go with gettin a new TB because im a little hesitant to deal with volts and ohms and stuff like that, im more of a bolt on kinda guy i guess. But amazing info, thanks again.

one more quick thing, it seems as though, after looking at car-parts.com they put the lx&ex models together, im guessing any year in that generation would work as well?? 94-97? so if what im thinking is right... any 94-97 lx or ex throttle body would be able to fit my 96 lx... does that sound right?

Last edited by rrookie5; 06-09-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: needed to add more info and didnt want to add another post to make it seem like im tryin to bump or anything
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

On Majestic Honda’s website you can look up and order parts. I would recommend looking up the part numbers and compare.