General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking time bomb....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Default Ticking time bomb....

It appears I've been living in a cave!I was shocked to find out that I'm driving two ticking time bombs!! (99 EX V6 Auto - 98K miles, 02 Odyssey Auto - 85K miles)
Apparently, both transmissions have a high probability of failing in the very near future. I stumbled across this fact, did a search and was floored at what I read. I'm in shock!!!
What good is changing out the transmission?
How long will the new one last??
Why are 2000-01 covered under warranty, but not 1998-99??
[sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=insomnia.gif]

Should I abandon ship? Sell them, cut and run?
....................................Getting dizzy...............................Room is shrinking......................................... ........What's that bright light................

Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Ticking time bomb....

Honda has been having a lot of issues with 00-01 trannies .actually 98 and 99 as well but they won't cover the 98-99 as they do the 00-01 .

had a customer with a 99 accord v6 with tranny issues, i told her to go to dealer to see if they would help,, well they did ,, she only had to pay for 1/2 the total bill .. I still feel that Honda should take care of the whole thing trannies should last a lot longer than 90k miles she only had 91k on her car ..

have you had any issues with the alternator ?? ( noisy ) if not yet,,, YOU WILL ...

Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Yes, I replaced it with a Bosch. In an earlier post, someone had mentioned that the Delphi was no good.
I have to admit, my confidence in Honda is a little shaken. No car is perfect, but if you listed the issues I've had and will most likely have, it would look like a crappy car. I was shooting for reliability when I bought this car, and instead I'm becoming a certified mechanic !

I have 98K miles on mine. Should I expect a failure any day now or am I out of the woods?
Is there ANYTHING I can do for preventative maintenance, or should I start a Honda trans savings account?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 PM

the only thing you can really do for preventative maint. is standard, tranny drain and fill at regular intervals and standard upkeep, nothing special, the problem is actually a design flaw that makes them inherintly more prone to issues but not guarantee of it... that being said you may very well be lucky and never have a problem.... If it was a failure on every transmission then they would have had to issue a recall but the number of issues reported was low enough that they didn't, this means that you have at least a 60/40 shot of it being good (in your favor)....

Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

"Is there ANYTHING I can do for preventative maintenance?"

DO NOT follow the owners manualservice schedule for trans fluid changes; change it every 30k miles at least.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Was this, or is this, more of a v6 problem from those model years? Or is it also a prob. for the 4 cyl?

Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Adding a transmission fluid cooler will always help! If the trannies are dying early because of heat, this will def. help.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks.
I will do a drain and fill asap. Do you recommend doing multiple drain/fills to get more out? Drain/fill - drive for a day - drain/fill - drive for a day - drain/fill. That kind of thing.
I'm really hoping I'm in the 60%.